Pages

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Hodgepodge Wednesday May 27, 2015

Our spring rains have made everything beautiful!!
It's Hodgepodge Wednesday, Volume 222. Joyce asks the questions and any blogger who wants to link in and participate is welcome to do so. At the end of my responses, you can click on a link to see how others have replied.

1.  Did you do anything 'memorable' this past weekend?



To make ourselves more aware of what our military people face, we watched the movie American Sniper.  We heard a stirring sermon at church about our need as individuals and as a nation to repent and draw close to God. We took a day trip to the town of my husband's undergraduate alma mater. We had a wonderful time visiting his campus and talking about memories. 

One of my dear friends is preparing to move to the Lone Star State, and not all of her household gets to go with her. On Sunday she turned them over to me, so I've been finding a place for them in my house. 

the newcomers shortly after their arrival

2. Ronald Reagan is quoted as saying-

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same."  

Your thoughts? Do you somehow acknowledge and appreciate the freedoms you enjoy? Did your upbringing contribute to that sense of appreciation? If you're a parent, are there specific things you do to pass on this sense of responsibility and appreciation to your own children in regard to the freedoms they enjoy?


our flag on Memorial Day 2015

We proudly display our American flag on patriotic holidays, we vote in elections, and we respond to political phone surveys. We respect military people greatly and our children were a part of all those things during their childhood years in our home.

3. Loudest noise you've ever heard?

One Saturday morning many years ago when we were living on the Pacific Coast, we were enjoying a quiet breakfast when a test missile or rocket was launched that was very loud and shook our entire apartment. It was both exciting and terrifying. Had we known ahead of time that was going to happen, maybe it would not have shook us up so much. 

4. What was the last thing you ate that might be considered 'junk food'? Did you enjoy it?

I am happy to be able to say that since I was diagnosed with gluten-intolerance and began eating gluten-free and mostly raw vegan in November 2013,  junk food is no longer a part of my life. I have lost weight (and kept it off), went from a size 12 to size  6 jeans, and I feel great!!

5. When was the last time you were somewhere the crowd felt 'packed in like sardines'?

That is a feeling I avoid if at all possible. The last time I felt that way was at a very popular Christian women's conference several years ago. It was held at a huge convention center. During a break time  I was trying to get around the mezzanine to the rest room and to visit some of the book tables. People were smashed up against me on all sides. Making a purchase at any of the tables was completely out of the question.


Even though it was a Christian women's event, I kept my purse pressed to my chest and worried about pickpockets and getting trampled upon. (Being short of stature did not help the situation) I had never  before experienced anything like that and hope I never do again.



As a result, I do not attend those conferences any more.  The conferences themselves are excellent, but I am very uncomfortable with that kind of circumstance. 


6. Are you organized when it comes to packing for a trip? Do you make a list weeks in advance or toss items in last minute? Are you a carry-on only sort of packer or do you need an entire suitcase for your shoes?

I'm very organized when I travel. Especially when I travel by air, I stay with a limited color scheme so my clothes can mix-and-match very easily and I don't have to pack a big bag. 


Due to my shoulder replacement and a disability that has permanently affected my range of motion (due to the severity of my accident), I check in nearly everything at the airport ticket counter so I don't have to carry much more than my purse with my prescriptions and something to read. That relinquishment of "all of my stuff" is a true act of faith on my part but I have no choice.


7. What was the last sporting event you attended in person? Did your team win? Did you care?

Sports Authority Field at Mile High --
where our Denver Broncos play their home games

The last sporting event I attended was the Super Bowl while sitting in my recliner at home. I don't really care much about sports but I do like to see the Denver Broncos win.


8.  Insert your own random thought here.

We are in desperate times and need to be spending serious time in prayer, confession, repentance, and Bible study. 

Christ-followers yearn for our Lord's return, but we must be busy while there is still time and opportunity, sharing the Gospel message with those who don't know.

In June our Supreme Court will make serious rulings about vital issues that will affect our freedom of speech and religious liberties, among other things. We must pray earnestly that their decisions are in line with the Holy Bible.  


~~~~~~~~~~
To see how other bloggers have responded to these questions, click here:


8 comments:

  1. Great answers to another fun Hodgepodge! I so agree with your random #8!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with your random thought. I'm curious...what made you think you might be gluten-intolerant? I've wondered the same about myself. I can't eat things like watermelon or apples because they cause my tummy to cramp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have sent a more detailed reply to April in a private email; but for all who may be wondering the same thing, I had a lot of upsetting intestinal problems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen to your final comment...pray, pray, and pray some more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciated your answer to the last question, the random. So true.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate crowded situations too. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved your answer to number 8. So true and inspiring. I can relate with your distaste of crowded situations. I enjoyed reading your post.

    My love,
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree, this nation (and the world) need prayer. Your random thought brought to mind the verse in 2 Chron that says, 'If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.' Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete