Pages

Monday, May 18, 2015

Fun Across the Miles

(She's at a mall in the midwest and I'm at a mall in Colorado)

Today is my sister's birthday. I won't tell you her age, but will bless her by telling you this much: I'm the older one.

We keep in touch with emails nearly every day and face-to-face visits once or twice a year. I wouldn't mind seeing her more often, but like me, she has to divvy up her travel budget to see the faraway kids and grandkids.

She has always been the cuter and the smarter of the two of us. Plus, she had the advantage of learning from my mistakes and smartly dodged some pitfalls that way during our growing up years.

We grew up in the city, several of them, as a matter of fact, since our father was transferred coast to coast with his job in the airlines and corporate aviation. With the many relocations, by default we were sort of each other's best friends. We probably didn't think of it like that at the time, but in looking back, she was all I had. As we have become older, we definitely value our relationship.

While I have continued to be a city girl, Sister moved to the country and now lives in a small community where everybody sort of knows your business. Both she and her hubby have made positive impacts with their civic and church commitments. I always enjoy visiting them in their house built during the Civil War era with its sweeping lawns, huge trees, and beautiful gardens.

There are a lot of stories I could tell about Sister, but perhaps the one I share the most often says more about the wisdom of our mother than anything about the two of us.  We were probably 7 and 5 years old and were squabbling about something in the kitchen. My mother had finally had enough of that, so she told us to sit on the bottom step of the staircase and to stay there until we could be friends.

I don't know how long it took, but eventually one of us said to the other something along the lines of, "I don't want to be friends with you, but let's pretend we are friends so we can get off this step." 

Yes, we are friends. Real ones and not just pretend. I'm thankful for her.  So, Happy Birthday, Sister! I'm glad God put you into my life!







1 comment:

  1. Oh, how sweet. I always wanted a sister but was blessed with two brothers instead and I wouldn't trade them for all the sisters in the world. I have been blessed with a SIL that is as close to me as a sister and I love her dearly. Sweet post!

    ReplyDelete