Pages

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

An Early Hodgepodge


Last week Joyce took a 'spring break' from Hodgepodge but she's back today with questions having to do with mothers, motherhood, mommies. I love it! 

My mother is my oldest friend (and I'm not referring to her chronological age). She and I go waaaay back to my beginnings!! I'm greatly blessed that she is very much alive, has a sharp mind, loves to send and receive emails on her computer and is able to read the stuff I put on my blogs.  She is truly one of the cheerleaders in my life.

As always with the Hodgepodge, we are linking up with other bloggers at Joyce's blog, At This Side of the Pond. To see how they have responded to these same questions, click on Joyce's blog on Wednesday. (I am posting my Hodgepodge on Tuesday this week)


1. What's a phrase your mother often said to you? If  you're a parent, is this something you now say to your own children? 

I don't remember a particular phrase my mother said to me often except that she did her best to instill good morals, honesty, healthy habits, and attention to detail.  

Wait! There is a phrase she used often.  "Ready-made clothes." My mother made many of the clothes for my sister and me. It was not unusual for her to make a critical remark about "ready-made clothes" when they did not hold up well.


My mother and me this past Thanksgiving
2. What is a scent you associate with your mother or your childhood home?

My mother's version of spaghetti and meatballs cooking on the stove was a scent I loved. For reasons none of us know, we called this particular recipe "Lollipop." It's basically ground beef browned with chopped onions, canned tomatoes added and served with spaghetti pasta. Sister and I loved it when we were growing up.

As an added note, the smell of liver cooking made me ill. This happened so many times with my sister and me when we were little girls that our mother eventually stopped making it. The weeping and gnashing of teeth was just too much to bear!

3. What's an activity you remember always doing with your mother?

My mother taught me to sew.  I am so glad she persisted. There was a time between 7th and 8th grade when I hit the wall, so to speak. I just didn't understand how to put in a zipper and for a time decided I would give up sewing. But when I realized how wonderful it would be to sew my own clothes, my mother helped me to get past the evil zipper problem and I've been sewing ever since!

Old Crow hanging in my mother's house.
She has given me LOTS of fun country decorating ideas over the years.
4. Flared jeans, maxi dresses, and jumpsuits are 70's fashion trends back this spring. Are you on board? Which trend would you be most inclined to try? For the men ... flared corduroys, wide-collared shirts, and floral prints... what say you?

This is SCARY! Maybe I would attempt a maxi dress for some special occasion (Halloween, perhaps), but none of those fashions appeal to me (and I'm speaking for my hubby, too, I'm sure).

5. May 6th is Teach Appreciation Day and also Nurse Appreciation Day. Is there a nurse or teacher you have especially appreciated along the way? Tell us why.

Teachers: 
Mrs. Johnson in 4th grade taught my class to embroider yarn on burlap.  That sparked my interest in hand needle work.

Mrs. Hamilton in high school was my Home Ec teacher with high expectations for good sewing. She would be absolutely appalled at the poor workmanship we see in today's ready-made clothing.

Bible teachers who inspire me to continue to seek the Lord:
Anne Graham Lotz
Beth Moore
Priscilla Shirer 
(and there are many more)

6. If I came by your house, what would I find on your frig door? 

Nothing but fingerprints. All my appliances are stainless steel and magnets don't have an attraction for that surface. But fingerprints are another matter. I don't like stainless steel appliances...

7. Princess Charlotte Elizabeth Diana made her royal entrance on Saturday, May 2nd. On a scale of 1-10, how much attention did you give to all the news coverage? 1=Who's Charlotte? 10=sat glued to the telly, cuppa in hand.

I'd rate my interest at 2.5 because my newest grandchild was born last week and he, of course, got my undivided attention.


our lil' Smurf at less than 30 minutes old, wide awake!
Born 3 weeks early, he's ready to get on with life!

8. Insert your own random thought here:


Pictured left to right: Lily (my research assistant), Rowdy (the neighbor kid with yellow hair), Grandad Bear,
Rent-a-Nurse, Grammy Bear, Eaves Dropping (the Home and Garden editor at the Whistlestop newspaper),
Amanda Suzanna (my key assistant in the rose-colored glasses), Spud our Handyman, and
The Cook on Fifth Street with Mrs Berniece Mertz (my bed-and-breakfast chef).


My mother has a lot to do with my love of whimsey. Here is a picture I took of her with my pretend Bed and Breakfast staff. They have often accompanied me on car trips to see my mother.


5 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post and Hodgepodge!! You can catch mine tomorrow! I loved learning about your mom. The photos are so precious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet photo of that new little smurf :-)
    Sending prayers,
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet photo of you and your mom. Nice memories of your teachers. I'm with you on the stainless steel! Congratulations on your precious grandson. Happy Mother's Day to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your staff, that is just too cute! And, I know you are so glad to still have your Mom and share such good times with her. It's so different when they are gone.

    Happy mid week Barbara! That little Grandson is precious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First time here from the hodgepodge. Lovely post and congratulations on your grandson, very cute :)

    ReplyDelete