Pages

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Rice, Rain and Recyling

metal wall decor in our guest bathroom (from Hobby Lobby)

Wednesday Hodgepodge Volume 218 I can't believe it! One of Joyce's Hodgepodge questions this week led me to post a photo of my kitchen trash cans! Is this crazy or what?!

1. Have you ever had to wear a uniform? If yes, tell us more. Did you love it or hate it?

Yes! There were the uniforms for gym class grades 7 through my junior year in high school (I don't think I had to take Phys. Ed my senior year). The worst gym uniform I wore was for the short time my family lived in Westfield, New Jersey. The uniform was a white blouse, white shorts, and this dumb little skirt thing on top of the shorts.  It felt like something out of the 1940s.

2. April 22nd is Earth Day. What is one thing you do personally to be a good steward of planet Earth? 

We are good about recycling. The house we live in now came with 2 trash cans on a rolling rack inside one of our lower kitchen cabinets. One is for recycling and the other is for trash.

(I'm not blowing up this picture for you -- you get the idea!)

3. Brown rice, quinoa, or couscous ... your healthy grain of choice? How often are one of the three on your menu at home? Given a choice between white rice, brown rice, wild rice, and fried rice which would you go for? 

Quinoa is my healthy grain of choice, although technically quinoa is a SEED. We have quinoa or brown rice about once every week or two. As for rice, I like a mixture of brown and wild rice together. Unfortunately, couscous is not gluten-free.

4. In your opinion, who has the best job ever?

I do! At this stage of my life my house is easy to keep clean because it's just Beloved and me living here (no kids or pets anymore); and as a full-time keeper of the home, I'm my own boss!

5. What's a situation in your life currently requiring patience?

The several road construction projects going on in my town are a trial to us all. Sometime next year our small town will have a new exit/entrance ramp to the Interstate that runs smack through the middle of everything. That will be glorious. But in the meantime, the traffic backups and detours are a real bother.

6. Do you live your life around days of the week? Explain.

I suppose I do live around the days of the week. Routine is comforting to me, and especially as I get older. Sunday we go to church; Monday I wash our clothes; Tuesday is Bible study; Wednesday I wash towels and clean house; Thursday is for grocery shopping, and Fridays and Saturdays are flex days for everything else.

7. In a nod to the A to Z challenge happening around town this month, what 'R word' best describes your April?

Rain. We've had a lot of rain -- although at our elevation of 6,309 feet above sea level, most of our rain at this time of  year quickly turns to snow.

It was raining when we went to bed Thursday night.
We woke up the next day (last Friday, April 17th) to 9 inches of snow on our deck.

8. Insert your own random thought here.

Today (Hodgepodge Wednesday) is Grandson #5's second birthday. Then next Tuesday he will become a Big Brother with the birth of Grandson #6 (and our Grandchild #11). I'm putting the finishing stitches on the baby quilt... I can't show you the entire quilt until it's given to him when we visit in a couple of months.


My daughter taught me to use black metal hair clips to hold the binding in place while doing the hand-stitching.

To see how other bloggers have answered these same questions, click on Joyce's link, From This Side of the Pond.


3 comments:

  1. Wow, I would not be too happy to see all that snow right now. I guess you expect it at your elevation. Happy birthday to your grandson and welcome to baby brother : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some real excitement with a new baby coming! Birthdays are always special! The quilt looks like it is lovely and I can't wait to see it finished! Another fun Hodgepodge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am having those exact same trash cans in our new house with the pull out just like that too. Of course, I won't be using one for recycling since we can't recycle.

    And, my week days are so similiar to yours. How funny!

    Snow, oh, I would not like seeing that right now.

    Happy rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete