Pages

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Linking Up With Hodgepodge #216


This is Wednesday and I'm linking up with Joyce at My Side of the Pond and her weekly Hodgepodge of fun questions. Click on her website, here, to see how other bloggers have responded.

1. Besides left over Easter goodies, what's something currently kept in a basket at your house?

There is a basket on my desk that holds papers I need to deal with. I make it a rule to not allow the stack of papers to get higher than the top of the basket (about 3 inches).

2. 'The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.' ~Michelangelo Buonarroti 

So which one are you...the one who aims too high, or the one who aims too low? Have you ever seen The Sistine Chapel? Did you know Michelangelo's surname prior to answering this question?

Well! I  thought his last name was Michaelangelo and I had no idea as to his first name.  Obviously, I've never been to the Sistine Chapel, or I would have known better.

As for aiming too high or too low, it depends on the subject area. I’m an under-achiever in some things and an over-achiever in others.

3. April 7th is National Beer Day. Hmmm...wonder how that's celebrated? Do you like beer? Have a favorite? If you're not a beer drinker do you have any recipes you enjoy cooking that call for beer?

Born and raised as a good Southern Baptist, I don’t drink alcohol and I’ve never tasted beer. When a recipe calls for alcohol of any kind, I substitute water, vegetable broth, or apple juice.

4. When did you last travel somewhere new? Tell us where? How'd it go?

Since all but 2 of our family members live 900 or more miles away, our vacations usually are composed of going to see relatives; and with one exception, they don’t move much.

But with that said, in the last 9 years we have been to both Alaska and New England, just the two of us. The most recent of those 2 trips was when we flew to Boston and then took a Globus bus tour through Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont, and Maine to see the changing leaves. It was a fun trip with beautiful scenery and great food. Our traveling companions on the bus, all strangers to us, were very pleasant.

Oh twist my arm! Here are a couple of pictures from our Princess Cruise to Alaska's Inside Passage:

Me, taken as our ship departed Seattle and cruised through Puget Sound.

Beloved stands on the balcony in our room as we sailed through the Tracy Arm Fjord.
Note the many small ice bergs in the late summer water.

5. The value of  [fill in the blank] is greatly overrated. 

Haircuts for women at walk-in salons

6. What's a pet peeve of yours when it comes to restaurant dining?

I dislike it when the bus person leaves the table and seats/chairs damp after wiping them down. 

7. It's Poetry Month...share a favorite poem, either the title, a few lines you find meaningful, or the whole kit and caboodle.

(forgive me, but this is the first one that came to mind…
and I think I've shared this before!)

I sneezed a sneeze into the air
Down it fell, I know not where.
But dark and cold
were the looks of those
in whose vicinity I had snoze.


8. Insert your own random thought here.

While I'm thinking about that Alaskan cruise, I want to share one more picture we took early on our second full day aboard ship. I wish I could relive the moment... It was just before dawn as the ship slowed down and oh-so-quietly glided into the harbor at Ketchikan. The mountain on our side of the ship was dotted with twinkling lights from the houses as people were waking up and getting their morning coffee. So silent, so still, so incredibly peaceful. It is probably my favorite memory of the entire trip.


Ketchikan, Alaska on August 29, 2008

6 comments:

  1. Love you random! Also love your poem! LOL Wet, sloppy tables and seats...yes!! That one, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your answers to Hodge Podge.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  3. The poem is cute and made me giggle...of course I spend a lot of time around children and teenagers so I totally get that kind of humor.

    Loved hearing about your trips. I'm hoping to get my hubby to take a driving tour of New England one day...I really want to do some digging into my family tree.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I was a Southern Baptist preacher's daughter and we sure didn't drink or dance.:o)) I've never drank and don't do very good with the dancing. :o))

    Hubby and I went on that same exact Alaskan Cruise 6 years ago and Ketchican looked just like that. We went on the next to the last cruise of the season. It was a fabulous trip! We went with 5 other couples.

    Happy rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh the photos of the Alaska trip are *beautiful! I loved your thoughts on the residents there on the mountain side in the early morning hours... Very neat indeed. : )

    Have a sweet week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a gorgeous photo! Alaska is on my list of places to see someday. I live in the Northeast and am a big fan of the fall color! Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete