Pages

Friday, April 24, 2015

Breaking a Habit

graphic from Printshop for Mac
For a long time it has been my habit after breakfast to turn on the television in my bedroom while I got dressed and ready to face the day. I didn't watch it so much as just listened to it.  I wanted to know what had happened in the world of news while I slept through the night. There's nothing wrong with that.


But as time went on, and the stories became more gruesome, I began to see that the benefits of this habit were decreasing while my anxieties grew. Instead of leaving my dressing room with a positive perspective on the day ahead of me, I was feeling doomed before I started.



The fear level in our nation is up 51 percent from this time last year. That is not surprising. Bad news is everywhere. If we don't hear it first thing in the morning, it will find us  throughout the day.  



The earliest of my morning needs to be spent remembering God and His love, His grace, and His mercies (for they are new every morning, great is His faithfulness. Lamentations 3:23). Focusing on our wonderful Lord fortifies and prepares me for whatever lies ahead. I am weak and puny by myself. I need to be reminded and restored every single day.


Where sin increased, grace increased all the more.
Romans 5:20b

God is giving me what I need to face the news of the day. No, that doesn't mean all will go well in human terms, and it may not be pretty,  but it does mean He will get me through to the other side.

If we haven't before, now is the time to take our Lord seriously. Believe, count on, depend on Him to come through for us.  That is our blessed hope as Believers in Jesus Christ.




4 comments:

  1. It's so true isn't it? I NEVER turn the news on in the morning anymore. I step from my bed to the shower and from the shower to my comfy chair for my quiet time with the Lord. Any deviation from that routine ends up being a day that just seems to not be right. It's a fine line for me...from being informed as to what is happening in our world so I can pray intelligently, and yet not too much as it can be so overwhelming and depressing. Enjoy your week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't turn the news on in the morning, either. Morning time is prayer time, then I'm ready for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never been a morning TV watcher or hardly any TV watcher. I LOVE the American Family Radio station and listen to it every morning and absolutely love it. JJ and Ron In The Morning are so inspiring and I love the music.

    The news is such a downer and while I like to know what's going on I pretty much just depend on Hubby to keep me informed. :o))

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hardly ever watch the news ant longer with the exception of World News tonight,just to be informed of what is going on in the world. I also tape the CBS Sunday Morning show, as it is always full of uplifting stories.

    ReplyDelete