Pages

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Welcoming the Easter Season with Hodgepodge

"Lamby Pie," from a friend who collects lambs and sheep
This week's Hodgepodge questions from Joyce at From This Side of the Pond focus on aspects of the Easter season. 


1. This coming weekend is Palm Sunday, which marks the beginning of Holy Week. Do you celebrate Easter in your home? What was your favorite Easter tradition as a child?


Yes, we most definitely celebrate Easter in my home. I liked everything about Easter as a child. I suppose in my childish way of thinking, my favorite part was getting new clothes and shoes to wear to church on Easter Sunday. Finding out what the Easter bunny had left for us was also great fun. My mother always made things nice for my sister and me.

Now, as an adult, my favorite part of  Easter is the music.



2. George Weinberg is quoted as saying, 'Hope never abandons you, you abandon it.' Agree or disagree? Share  your own thoughts on the word hope.



I think of hope as being another way of saying God, and I KNOW He never abandons me. Therefore I would have to say that Hope never abandons me; but I abandon Him when my faith falters.


3. Weigh in with a yay or a nay on the traditional Easter candies. A solid milk chocolate bunny? Yes! Cadbury Creme Eggs? Yes! Peeps? One is plenty, thank you. Reese's Peanut Better Eggs? Peanut butter just doesn't fit my idea of spring and Easter. Jellybeans? Oh! Have you had the jelly beans made by Smuckers (the jam people)?  They are W.O.N.D.E.R.F.U.L! Coconut Cream Eggs? Yes. Of the candies listed, which one would you most like to find in your Easter basket? 


Well, in spite of my responses in the previous paragraph  since I now eat mostly vegan, and dairy-and-gluten-free, my carefree days of enjoying candy are gone. But a dark chocolate non-dairy bunny would be really nice.



4. When did you last feel 'like a kid in a candy store'?



Just today, as a matter of fact. I was shopping for some springy tops at Christopher & Banks where they were having a sale of 40% off. I came home with three.  I plan to wear one of them on Easter Sunday with either a black skirt or black slacks -- depending on if we get snow or sunshine that day!



today's purchases from Christopher and Banks


5. What's something you know you do differently than most people? Does that bother you? Does it bother other people?



I asked my husband to answer this question for me. He said my diet (the way I eat due to food allergies/intolerances) is different from most people. That does not bother me and I try my best to not let it bother others.



6. Palm Springs, CA, Palm Beach, FL, or the PALMetto State ... of the three mentioned, which sunny spot would you most like to visit right now? Which have you visited at one time or another?



First of all, I had to Google "Palmetto State" and learned that refers to South Carolina. I think I may have been in Palm Springs, California very briefly as a young girl when my father landed his employer's airplane to pick up some people. (sometimes, although not often, my mother, sister and I would get to go along) I'd like to see Palm Beach, Florida and would also love to see Charleston, South Carolina. I've never been to South Carolina, but Surfer Girl has been through there and says it's beautiful. I'd love to experience some true 'southern hospitality' and see the beautiful historic homes.

photo credit

7. If you could change the length of a day, would you lengthen it or shorten it? Tell us why.


Winter with its shorter days, cooler temperatures, and cozy socks and sweaters is my favorite time of year so my vote would be for sunset around 5pm so I could snuggle by the fireplace.



8. Insert your own random thought here.




I missed the Hodgepodge last week because Beloved and I were in Florida meeting our newest granddaughter. Although the quilt I made for her has been finished for months, I have waited until that visit to post a picture of the quilt here on my blog. It was made with a "jelly roll" packet from JoAnn's Fabrics and Crafts. The professional machine quilting was done by Holly's Quilt Cabin.



Granddaughter with her doggie and quilt; me with Surfer Girl holding her newborn

Click here to see how my blogging friends have replied to these same questions.

5 comments:

  1. Oh your quilt is beautiful! I love the colors. And congratulations on your newest little grand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the birth of your precious granddaughter.
    I can say the same about doing things differently in regards to the way I eat. I am back on track with eating gluten free, dairy free and started a new whole30 plan on Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. SCORE! on the cute tops and I hope you have a beautiful sunny day to wear one of them on Easter.

    Seems more and more folks are either going Vegan or gluten free. So far, I can pretty much eat whatever I like but I do know that can change.

    Love, love the quilt, what a lovely treasure for your Granddaughter.

    Happy rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, Bless your heart! Charleston is beautiful and I love it as you'll see when you read my Hodge Podge which I delayed until Saturday because I'd already done a post for Today and didn't do one yesterday.
    Your granddaughter is beautiful....
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your new granddaughter is beautiful! Congratulations! The quilt you made for her is a treasure.

    Have a very blessed Palm Sunday!

    ReplyDelete