Pages

Sunday, March 1, 2015

Luck Has Nothing to Do with It

my dining table

We welcome March as we move from winter to spring. What a nice thought. Spring, I mean. Maybe it will happen. It's ten degrees here as I type, with 1 - 3 inches of more snow expected soon.

Much of our nation has been guilty (me, included) of complaining about the weather when we should remember that all things that come to us are from the hands of our all-wise, all-knowing God. We need winter so that the earth can rest and be refreshed to come out for spring and summer. 

straight line quilting and machine appliqué 

It helps me to meditate on the thought that our Lord has wise purposes for everything He allows to come our way, both the pleasant and the not-so-much.

"The luck o' the Irish" is a phrase we will hear this month with St. Patrick's Day on the seventeenth, but luck has nothing to do with us. All that comes our way is God-ordained. I like to think that all I encounter is filtered through the hands of God. 

setting the dining room table

My obedience to God, and my lack of obedience, can greatly affect my circumstances.  He blesses me when I choose obedience and if trouble hits me, it's because it was needed to mold my character into greater maturity. Some of us need a lot of molding!


the source of the shamrock appliqué pattern

And we know that for those who love God
all things work together for good,
for those who are called according to 
his purpose.
Romans 8:28


Not only that, but we rejoice 
in our sufferings, 
knowing that suffering 
produces endurance, 
and endurance produces character,
and character produces hope.
Romaans 5:3-4


Create in me a clean heart, O God,
and renew a right heart within me. 
Psalm 51:10


3 comments:

  1. What beautiful thoughts this Lord's Day. And, I love the Shamrock table runner. My baby brother was born on St. Pats Day and it has always held a very special place in my heart because of that. He is 13 years younger than me and more like one of my children than a brother.

    Yes, the Lord does use all of our circumstances to mold and make us but it isn't always easy for sure.

    Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely reflection as we begin moving through March!! Your table is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Inspirational thoughts to ponder, Barbara. love your shamrock applique table runner. Being half Irish I celebrate St. Patrick's Day every year. His life story is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete