Pages

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Hodgepodge Wednesday - March 4, 2015

snow on Pal's Tree, 2011

Today's Hodgepodge questions from Joyce at her blog, From This Side of the Pond, help us to usher in the month of March with thoughts beyond the weather to attitudes, determination, housecleaning, travel, and The Sound of Music! To see how others have responded to this assortment of questions, visit her blog on at http://www.fromthissideofthepond.com


1. In like a lion, out like a lamb ....does the first part of this saying describing March weather ring true where you live?


icicle on my house
March is coming in like a lion this year in my town since we've had a lot of snow and have broken some records for low temperatures. I took this snapshot last Saturday while the sun was out and the skies were clear, but that was just a brief respite between storms.


2. March 4th is National Grammar Day. What common grammatical error bothers you the most?

While poor grammar irks me (it sounds lazy), what bothers me even more is obscene language, which we hear so much more than we used to.

3. William Arthur Ward says -- "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." Which one are you?

I'd like to say I'm more the realist but those who know me well would probably say I come off sounding like a pessimist.

4. What's something you need to 'march forth and conquer' this month?

Thankfully, there isn't much that I need to conquer right now. I've made a concerted effort to keep up with my obligations and that's paying off nicely.... but I do have to remind myself often to keep at it.

5. An ongoing debate around her ... do you dust first, then vacuum or vacuum first, then dust? Of the two routine household chores, which do you dislike the least? How's that for wording?

I am a firm believer in dusting first. Since some of it falls to the floors/carpets anyway, vacuuming after it's made its way to the floor make the most sense to me. Dusting is easier to do with my lamb's wool wand, but I find it to be more discouraging because in this high, dry, semi-arid climate of Colorado, we just get a lot of dust. (the dust doesn't "stay gone" long enough)

6. According to thrilllist.com, the ten most photographed sites in the U.S.A. are -- Cinderella's Castle in Orlando, Southernmost House in Key West Florida, The Space Needle in Seattle, The Site of the Boston Massacre in Boston, The Bellagio Lake/fountains in Las Vegas, The Lincoln Memorial in Washington DC, Coit Tower in San Francisco, The Art Institute of Chicago, Niagara Falls, and snagging the number one spot -- The Guggenheim Museum in New York City. How many on this list have you photographed? Which on the list would you most like to visit and photograph?

I have photographed Cindy's Castle in Orlando (and many years ago, Disneyland in California, too); the Space Needle in Seattle, the Lincoln Memorial in Washington DC, and Niagara Falls -- because I have lived in all of those places! 

I would like to see Southernmost House in Key West Florida because I've never been there and I hear the water is stunningly beautiful. It also is an appealing destination when my feet are cold and there is snow to be shoveled outside.


7. Fifty years ago Monday (March 2, 1965) The Sound of Music premiered at the Rivoli Theatre in NYC. Have you seen the film? Do you own a copy? On a scale of 1-10 how much do you love it (or not)? Ten = best movie ever.  If you're a fan, what's your favorite scene or song from the movie?

Yes, I've seen The Sound of Music and yes, we have a copy of it in our movie collection. On a scale of 1 - 10, I suppose it's a 9 for me.  I like the song "My Favorite Things" and I love the harmony in all of the songs.


raindrops on roses -- one of my favorite things.
This is a snapshot I took in 2011 of a rose near our stand of mailboxes

8. Insert your own random thought here.

this is a wall hanging in my guest bathroom
Good advice for everybody!

7 comments:

  1. I love the wall hanging in your guest bathroom! What good reminders. It was another fun Hodgepodge and I enjoyed your answers! It's always fun to compare everyone's answers. We do tend to answer many of them alike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this as always. I was actually curious to know how many dust or vacuum first, lol! The wall hanging is perfect! Enjoy the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a gorgeous shot of the rose! I think realists are often viewed as pessimists : ) Usually by optimists!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We also get a lot of dust in Southern California and the Santa Ana winds don't help! I dust first also. I love the songs from The Sound of Music. I think your wall hanging is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you on obscene language. It is all around now days.
    Katie atBankerchick Scratchings

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that wall hanging! Always such fun to read everyone's answers in the HP. Stay warm, we're in for wintery mix tonight with low in the 20's tomorrow. Ugh!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for your lovely visit.

    - Alma, The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete