Pages

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Simple Woman's Daybook for February 17th, 2015


It's been over 2 months since I last did a Simple Woman's Daybook link-up.  Most of the gals wrote their entries on February 9th, but here I am, a week later. My daughter gave us a new grandchild that day!  And with that said, I'm writing this entry on Sunday February 15th but scheduling it to appear on this blog on Tuesday February 17th.  Go figure. You can click here to see how other bloggers have responded to these questions.

So, I begin with the writing prompts.

 February 17th 15th



Outside my window...


Arthur, who stands in a corner on our uncovered deck tells me the predicted snow for this afternoon has begun to fall. We may get 5 inches. Thankfully we don't live on the East Coast, where their snow totals are much more impressive right now. However, we do get our fair share of the white stuff. If you're going to live in Colorado, you need to like snow.

I am thinking ... about the book I am reading these days, from the public library (NF 302.12 CAR), Take the Risk by Ben Carson, M.D. (Learning to Identify, Choose, and Live with Acceptable Risk). From page 118, "If your priority is to look good in front of people, your life will take a different direction than if your priority is to use the talents God has given you to make a positive difference in the world. Such values will influence what risks you choose to take."

I am thankful (and in gratitude)... for my husband who loves to spend time with me, listen to me, and eats my [sometimes strange] cooking.

I am wearing... blue jeans, a black long-sleeved crew-neck T from Kohl's topped with a black knitted vest from a thrift store, black tie shoes and warm knee socks. Gold ball earrings and my glasses. Gotta have the glasses to write a blog post!

I am creating... actually, I have recently completed 3 projects in my sewing room: 

a Snowman panel for our laundry/mud room
The pattern is from this book:



And another project:


And the last project I'm sharing today:

I Spy quilt for Fire House Quilts of Colorado

I am going... to meet with someone from Social Security this week to get the initial set-up with Medicare... I'm not really that old. It just says I soon will be on my driver's license!!

I am wondering... just what goes on in the mind of my little granddoggie who was very attentive to my daughter during her recent hours of labor and is now the constant companion to our new little granddaughter. I marvel at the devotion of dogs to the people they love.


I am hoping praying... all goes well for my children this week. They are all wonderful, capable adults (and, thankfully, have been for a long time) but I still pray for them because everybody needs prayer and God's hand of mercy in their lives.

I am learning... that to restrain my impulsive nature is often a very good thing.

I am pondering ... what pattern to use for the quilt for our grandson due to be born in May. (!!!)

In my kitchen...


I am eating a banana. Beloved came in to serve himself more of the Lemon Bars I made for his Valentine gift. I can't eat them because they are from a boxed mix that was not gluten-free, hence, the monkey food for me.

A favorite quote for today... "If we set as our priority the removal of all risk, we'll soon have sterile, stagnant, and unstimulating learning environments." (another thought from Ben Carson's book, mentioned in an earlier question, above)

My Paper Cut Journal... I don't have a paper cut journal, but Peggy, the originator of The Simple Woman's Daybook, has one and I'm thinking it looks like fun. It's sort of like the hands-on-hard-copy of today's Pinterest boards. 

She's taken a blank store-bought journal and pasted onto it's pages magazine pictures that she likes. They are in there, scrapbook style, overlapping, some straight, some crooked, just an artful-sorta-messy-in-a-good-way collection of things she likes.  Then when she feels blue, she can flip through it and be cheered.  Or one could put it on a plate rack for display.  While some might think it's a waste of time, I'm thinking it might be good therapy for those of us who are 'gifted' with a bit of the melancholy in our personalities.  

Come to think of it, I used to do something just like that when I was a teenager, clipping and glueing pictures from magazines of clothes, hairstyles, decorating elements, travel ideas, and china and silverware patterns... 

A peek into one of my days...


This is where I am right now... sitting at the breakfast table while blogging, and watching a snowstorm approach over the mountain that is directing north of my house. Look closely and you can see the cloud of snow partially obscuring the top of that mountain.

One of my favorite things... is to write blog posts.

From the board room (Pinterest)... Soooo, even though I don't have pages from a Paper Cut Journal to share with you today, I'll show you a photo from one of my Pinterest boards:


This is "Vegan Caesar Salad" from ohsheglows.com. The goldie-yellow things are roasted chickpeas (canned) that come across as croutons in this vegan version of a Caesar salad. Even Beloved  (the carnivore) enjoyed this with me!

Until next time! G'bye!






6 comments:

  1. Hi Barb,
    I love the quote from Ben Carson. And that sweet new baby fresh from the hand of God! I also saw that you share gluten free recipes. That is a God send as we are trying to start that at our house. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the quilt projects!

    Congratulations on the new grandbaby, she is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like what you said about medicare.

    My grandson was sick last week and I was staying with him...my grand puppy who usually is all over me when I'm there and my Daughter isn't, stayed right with him on the sofa instead of with me.....they are so sensitive to what others feel.
    We visited Colorado once on vacation, just the two of us, it is still one of my favorite trips....we stayed in Uray.
    I've added you to my follow list.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barbara! "I'm thinking it might be good therapy for those of us who are 'gifted' with a bit of the melancholy in our personalities." So true...

    ReplyDelete
  5. How very beautiful your grandbaby is!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love seeing your projects! The one in the laundry room is especially adorable! Speaking of adorable, that precious little grandbaby and doggie. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete