Pages

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

February 18th's Wednesday Hodgepodge

our first crocus of 2015

Some call Wednesday "hump day" but on this blog it's "Hodgepodge."  Joyce, over at From This Side of the Pond comes up with questions for bloggers to answer and then on Wednesday we all link up at Joyce's blog to see how others have replied. 



1. When did you last have to interact, either by phone or in person, with someone in a government run agency? On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate the experience? (10 being fabulous and 1 being pass the Tylenol.)

Tomorrow. Tomorrow I have a telephone appointment with Social Security to talk about Medicare. 



2. The current governor of Wisconsin is considering a run for President next time around. Walker attended Marquette University, but never graduated. In terms of any candidate running for the office of President (not asking here if you agree or disagree with Scott Walker's politics), would the lack of a college degree influence your vote or no? Would that be a factor in your support of any candidate running for public office, even a role less weighty than President?

Yes, this is an issue for me. While it is not a requirement to be a college graduate to hold public office, at the same time there is something to be said for completing a project that is nearly done. Mr. Walker quit his studies at Marquette University during the 2nd semester of his senior year. Since the life of our President tends to (and needs to) be an open book, I would like to know why this potential candidate quit his studies at that particular time in his college career.


3. When did you last visit a place or site named for George Washington or Abraham Lincoln, and what was that place or site?

We have family members living in Illinois, the "Land of Lincoln." In the home of one of them are some interesting reminders of Abraham Lincoln's service to our country.

4. February 16th was President's Day in the US, but did you know it was also National Almond Day? I didn't think so :) Do you like almonds? If so, what's a food/dish/recipe you enjoy that contains almonds?


Funny you should ask this! I've recently launched a new food blog that has a yummy recipe for gluten-free Almond Date Cookies. To see the recipe, click here: Kitchen Ambrosia (note: this is a WordPress blog, which is quite different in formatting from Blogger, so I'm still figuring out the bells 'n whistles of the template design. I hope to make it more "showy" as I understand how it works)

5. The television program Saturday Night Live celebrated it's 40th anniversary this past weekend. Were/are you a fan of the show? If so what has been your favorite, so one of  your favorite, skits, sayings, or characters that came out of the program?

Although the previews of the show often looked entertaining, those kinds of programs often have "blue humor" which does not appeal to us at all, so we have never watched it.

6. Anything purple within ten feet of you? What is it?


Just a few feet from me, on the fireplace mantel, is a Valentine from my mother with a purple flower.

7. Back in December I asked you to submit a question for a future HP as part of a giveaway I was hosting. I grabbed this one from those entries, submitted by Zoanna who blogs over at Penchant for Pens. 

She asked, "How often do you make your bed, and how do you like to make it - pull the covers all the way up over the pillows, tuck the covers in around the pillows, or place all the pillows on top of the covers?"

I have the most wonderful husband! After my accident 6 years ago, my shoulder replacement made it a real chore for me to make the bed by myself. Ever since then it has been our habit to make the bed together immediately after we get out of bed -- we always get up at the same time. 

8. Insert your own random thought here.


Years ago television actor George Peppard used to clamp his teeth down on a cigar and say, "I love it when a plan comes together!" (The A-Team in the 1980s)

Some of my longtime readers may remember that when Beloved and I moved into our current house almost 2 years ago, I did much of the packing. I followed an idea originated by Emilie Barnes where she numbered every box she packed and then made an index card for each box, listing on that card all the contents of the box.

I modernized that idea by dispensing with the index cards and created a Microsoft Excel document with the box numbers and contents listed. There is a search feature in this program so that when I want to find something, it's very easy.

Yesterday Beloved needed some information from his university diplomas, so he asked me to find and bring them to him. It was pure delight to be able to find exactly what he needed in box 103.

I love it when a plan comes together!

6 comments:

  1. Random: Now that's organization!

    Great Hodgepodge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow-that is some system! Hubs and I sometimes make the bed together, but I usually have to re-do his pillows : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Care to come and organize my belongings? That's mind-blowing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are very organized....I don't have any packed boxes of anything too important....maybe papers from Honey Bears previous jobs...I do need to organize our safe, though.....I have found that the older I get, the less I care about sorting things....Luckily I'm not a pack rat.
    Have a blessed day.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those gluten-free almond-date cookies look fantastic. I like that idea and will follow the link. Always looking for a good GF recipe. Thanks. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your storage boxes look so very helpful! We're getting ready to move ourselves, and I'm going to use your idea of making a spreadsheet for the boxes. I currently have the few we have already packed labeled with index cards. Your idea is much better! It will make life so much simpler and sweeter. Thanks for posting the idea!

    ReplyDelete