Pages

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

A Heartfelt Hodgepodge

Hearts hanging from our breakfast room chandelier
It's Hodgepodge Wednesday, Volume 208. Bloggers are given a set of questions by our hostess, Joyce at From This Side of the Pond. We give our answers on our blogs and then we visit one another to see how they responded.





1. Have you ever written a love letter? Have you written one recently? Had one written to you? Did you keep it?


Yes,  I've written many love letters over the years. Most recently I wrote 9 of them, one for each of my grandchildren. My Valentine for the children is their own letter via snail mail with a special message just for them with a positive observation about them or something they've accomplished. 

2. What's a movie that ends in a way you especially love?

Sense and Sensibility

How many times have I seen it? How many times has Beloved been good enough to watch it with me? 

Why is it that every time it rains in the British Isles during the Victorian Era, somebody has to go out in it without proper rain gear and they nearly die of pneumonia? 

I have to smile at their idea of a cottage -- looks like a mansion to me! 

And how do the men get work of any value done when they wear tight breeches and ruffles clear up to their chins? 

At least there tended to be a strong sense of decorum and manners -- both most assuredly in short supply in 2015.

As for how Sense and Sensibility ends -- the right men propose to the right ladies under the best of circumstances and the closing double wedding scene is beautiful!

3. Something that makes your heart sing? And for those of you who are parents, I mean something besides your children that makes your heart sing?

Hymns played on the piano. This sounds simple, but I love it because not only do piano hymns cause my heart to sing but they also bring tears of relief to my eyes. Traditional church music is getting harder to find.

4. What's the last event you had to attend, phone call you had to make, routine task you needed to complete, or meal you had to prepare, that you did do, but only half-heartedly?

This happens to me, from time to time, but it's not something I want to share with my public. (wink!)

5. Tuna fish salad - yay or belch? If you said yay, how do you like your tuna salad prepared? Hey, this is the Hodgepodge, right?

"Back in the day," I enjoyed an occasional tuna sandwich and tuna casserole (as long as the cook was generous with the salty crushed potato chips on top). But now my meat is limited mostly to salmon about once a week,  some occasional chicken or turkey and a lot of vegan foods (with a heavy emphasis on raw, dark, leafy greens). As a result I am surprisingly more healthy, energetic, and resistant to most germs that try to bring me down. 

6. What's something you 'know by heart'?

The Pledge of Allegiance, some Bible verses, the birth dates of all of my blood relatives, the words to a lot of songs... need I go on?


7. In the spirit of Valentine's Day, what two or three word phrase would you write on a conversation heart for someone you love? that someone could be a spouse, child, parent, cousin, bestie ... anyone at all whom you love.


Spouse: Love you
Child: Proud of you
Parent: Thank you
Bestie: Lunch?

8. Insert your own random thought here:




A granddaughter was born to us on Monday, just in time for breakfast. We are still luxuriating in the joy of her arrival. Truly, the conception, growth in the womb, and birth of a baby is a miracle!

6 comments:

  1. I agree with your comment for #3. Traditional hymns are rarely used anymore. So sad!!

    Congratulations on the birth of a new little girl!! What fun! Please share photos when you can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your new little granddaughter! I too love the old hymns, so much wisdom and truth in the lyrics. Our church typically still includes one hymn, and then several contemporary songs on Sunday morning. Our women's Bible Study begins with worship music, and last time we met they sent around a sheet for everyone to put a hymn they'd like to see included, and that made me so happy. I may have listed more than one, but how do you choose a favorite?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful to have a new little somebody to love! Warmest congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of love letters to your grandchildren! I too love the movie Sense and Sensibility, the one with Hattie Morahan. I had wanted to visit that house on the coast, but we're not going that direction this time. Maybe another time. I'd love to see that area. I could definitely live in that cottage. LOL

    Congratulations on the new baby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just recently finished Sense and Sensibility, and I'd have to agree. Was worried that the film would fade away but it resolved itself pretty quickly! And, I really don't like the current church music. The Getty's would be the exception, but they write music based on congregations singing together, and not on a solo/band jam session.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is always a fun post to read, Barbara! I like the thought of writing letters to your grandchildren. It has inspired me to write one for their future selves to read soemday, maybe on their 21 birthday?

    Please say a prayer for my friend Lucie tonight. She awaits the angels to bring her home.

    ReplyDelete