Pages

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Hodgepodge

I'm serving virtual tea for my blogging friends who are
digging out of the big snowstorm on the East Coast. (smile)

It's time to answer the Hodgepodge questions from Joyce at From This Side of the Pond. I'm linking my replies to her blog and checking to see how my blogging friends have responded as well. 

1. When did someone last suggest you 'chill out'? Or, when did you last tell someone (or want to tell someone) to 'chill out'? Or, when did you last tell yourself to 'chill out'?

I've had to tell myself to chill out, to keep me from getting myself into trouble with words that don't need to be said.

2. What most recently caused your heart to melt? 

TV commercials with puppy dogs.

3.  "An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered." G.K. Chesterton  

Your thoughts? When did you last experience either an adventure or an inconvenience? How did you see it at first, as an adventure or an inconvenience?  Does it feel the same in hindsight?

The adventure that stands out most strongly in my mind right now was this last November when I had an unexpected opportunity to ride cross country with my eldest son, just the two of us, from my house to his. Beloved and I had to reconfigure our Thanksgiving travel plans to accommodate this trip with my son, but it was time well-spent and a rare opportunity. At the end of the drive was a lively 2-day visit with 8 of my grandchildren before I hopped a plane to meet Beloved in Chicago. We then drove a few more hours to spend Thanksgiving with The Cook on Fifth Street and more extended family members.

4.  A Wendy's Frosty, root beer in a frosty mug, or a frosted chocolate cupcake...of these three, which one is your favorite 'frosty' treat?

A frosted chocolate cupcake would be my favorite 'frosty' treat. (gluten-free, of course)

5. Would you say your life so far this year has been more like a circus or a symphony? Explain why.

A symphony. Things have gone well but that will probably change soon as we have grand baby #10 due to be born just about any day now; and grand baby #11 is due in May. Both babies will be born well over a thousand miles from where we live, so we've got travel in our future.

6. Since it's a 'snow day' here, what's your favorite song containing the word 'white'?

"White Christmas," of course!

7. If you had to leave the city you currently live in, what would you find the hardest to leave behind?

If I had to leave my town, I would miss the close-up views of hills and mountains in every direction.

8. Insert your own random thought here.

"unadorned"

Yesterday I hung a large (36-inch diameter) grapevine wreath on our front porch. It was a "dumpster dive" find (from my neighbor's trash a couple of months ago) and just too big (and messy) to hang inside the house. I wasn't sure how I wanted to decorate it. I knew I wanted to use burlap and to make it "non-seasonal specific" so it would look good year 'round (except for Christmas, of course).

I went to Michael's and came across a large picture on display of a design I liked. I snapped a picture of the picture and then shopped in the store to find the ribbon and florals needed to make my wreath as much like the original as possible. Here's the result:




That was fun!


5 comments:

  1. Love, love the wreath!! Enjoyed your Hodgepodge answers today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the virtual tea : ) I love your wreath! That turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To have spent that much one on one time with any of my sons (or my daughter for that matter) would be such a treat! I would have jumped at it. Just doesn't happen much after they have grown does it? LOVE the wreath...it came out perfectly! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...your family is growing by leaps and bounds, isn't it? How wonderful! You did an awesome job on your wreath...looks GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, you did a great job on the wreath. I wouldn't know it from the one at Michael's. Good job!

    Oh, can't believe those babies are so far from you. Yes, travel is definitely in your near future.

    Happy new week!

    ReplyDelete