Pages

Saturday, January 17, 2015

Fire House Quilts Show'n Tell

an "I Spy" quilt for FHQ under construction in my sewing room right now

The activity in my sewing room has slowed a little this week...

We have two grand babies due to be born this year, one in February and the other in May. I completed the baby quilt for the first one (a girl!) but won't be posting a picture of it until it's been presented to the baby. I've been waiting to hear the gender of the second baby before beginning that quilt. 


is the baby a boy or a girl?

The mystery has been solved as of this afternoon. Our daughter-in-law sent us this picture to demonstrate how they shared the news with their other children.  Soon I'll be working on a baby boy quilt!

Inspiration is all around me.  This afternoon was a meeting of the Fire House Quilts group. I took pictures of "show'n tell."  This is when all the quilts donated since the last meeting (they meet twice monthly) are shown to all of us.  

These quilts are made primarily for our police and firemen to hand out to children who are victims in fires and car accidents, something to hold onto and cuddle at the scene of the accident/fire, etc.  when life deals them a frightening blow.  

The general rule for the quilts is that they be 45-inches square and machine-washable.  We make the quilts with materials donated to the group (or from our own fabric stash, if desired).  The patterns are usually something that's quick to machine-stitch so more quilts can be produced in a short amount of time. 

I've got about 20 pictures to share with you from today's show'n tell. I've blurred out the faces of the ladies for reasons of privacy. 

this one is an exception to the usual 45-inch square quilt

.

.
Since we are using donated fabric for these quilts, we sometimes run out of large enough
pieces for the quilt backs, but no problem! Our gals do some clever piecing.
.

.
.
.
.
.
.
sorry this one turned out blurry!
.

.
see the front, and ...

.
... here's the back!!
.

.

.
.
.

That's it for the show'n tell.  I hope you enjoyed it. If you are like me, we sometimes get stumped on what we want to sew, and especially when needing a quick design to assemble. Maybe today's pictures will help!

1 comment:

  1. Lovely work, and what a wonderful project, and cause to support! I love this idea and send hugs to you and your other group members for doing such a great thing for your community. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete