Pages

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

A Good Day for the Hodgepodge

My house guests until Spring....
Our friend Joyce, From This Side of the Pond,  is back from her daughter’s wedding so our community of Hodgepodge bloggers is back in action this week with the questions Joyce has tossed out to us. To see the answers of my blogging friends, click here: http://www.fromthissideofthepond.com


Hodgepodge Questions - Volume 204


1. What's your best piece of advice for a newly married couple? I'm asking for a friend.

Set aside time every day to listen to each other tell about their day and then pray together. This advice saved my marriage some 25 years ago (we’ve been married 44 years). We still do this.

2. Before we're too far into the new year I wanted to post a question Teresa submitted during the December giveaway. Teresa blogs over at Being Refined As Silver, so everyone go say hi.

Teresa asks, "What were you doing on December 31st, 1999?"and "Did you or your family make preparations for Y2K?"

We set aside some bottled water and canned goods and sort of held our breath in the first day or so of 2000.

3. According to Global Language Monitor, the most used word of 2014 isn't a word. It's the heart emoji. Huh? How can something that's not a word be the most used word, but I digress. What do you think was your most used word in 2014?

My most-used word in 2014 was probably "blog"(!!!) and the smiley face symbols made out of punctuation marks, as well as the smiley face emoji. These are the ones I use the most when I text:




4. Speaking of words, it's that time again. Time for Lake Superior University to present a list of words they'd like to see banished (for over-use, mis-use, and general uselessness) in 2015. You can read more about the decision making process here, but this year's top vote getters are-

bae (before anyone else), polar vortex, hack, skill set, swag, foodie, curate/curated, friend-raising, enhanced interrogation, cra-cra (as in crazy), takeaway, and -nation (a suffering sports suffix).

Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why? Is there a word not on the list you'd like to add?

Cra-cra is just dumb. The rest don’t bother me (I didn’t know what bae meant until just now as I read the definition).

5.  January is National Hot Tea month. Are you a fan? Do you like flavored teas? How do you take your tea? Have a favorite cup or teapot? How many cups of tea do you consume in a given day? 

This is my usual mug for tea. Peggy gave it to me as a housewarming gift.
It's produced by DaySpring. Beloved has one that says "mr." Cute, huh?!
I drink a cup of hot green tea [with caffeine] every morning and will sometimes have another cup of [decaf] tea later in the day if I feel like I need a pick-me-up. 

6. Whatever happened to “the customer is always right” and true service when seeking help in a retail store? Many merchants seem to take my business for granted.  Actually it’s the younger employees that act that way. The older ones tend to be more respectful. I am also disheartened when employees in the ‘big box stores’ don’t seem to know where certain items are located. 

7. What is one book on your must-read list this winter? 

I’d like to read The Vision of His Glory by Anne Graham Lotz, whose writing about the Biblical book of Revelation is very timely.



8. Insert your own random thought here. 

This is what we watch on television these days while the snow swirls on our deck, piles up on our outdoor furniture, and makes the roads an adventure:


"Beach Front Bargain Hunt" o HGTV
But don't get me wrong, I still love living in Colorado!!!


4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your Hodgepodge answers today. We think alike on several! I enjoy watching the beachfront property hunt on HGTV, too, and we live in Florida!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got to agree with you about the lack of customer service. I live in the south and feel retail people are nicer than perhaps other parts of the country. But, phone help - or medical help (see my post before the Hodgepodge) are lacking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your marriage advice is great. Cute mug, too.
    Beachfront property hunt is a fun show. Some of those bargains are just hard to believe. It is cold here but we haven't had much snow yet. I still hoping :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the mug! Do you know where she got it? I might have to look around and see if I can find that one. My daughter especially loves that verse, and it would make a cute little Valentines Day gift .

    ReplyDelete