Pages

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Seasonal Fun and a Nog Recipe

Sue 'n Me
The Christmas season of good times with friends has begun. This week I've been able to set aside the call of the laundry and vacuum cleaner to lunch with friends, bake cookies, shop, and just in general have fun.

Life is soooo serious but we were not made for dreariness, and certainly not at this time of year! Yes, we need to take care of business and do all we can to govern ourselves and our world rightly, but at the same time, our Creator God made us for joy -- joy in Him! Just this morning my One Year Chronological Bible directed my reading to Philippians 4:8 where we are given clear instruction to think on what is cheerful:

Fix  your thoughts on what is true,
and honorable, and right, and pure,
and lovely, and admirable. 
Think about things that are excellent and 
worthy of praise.

Today was the second of two lunches I've had scheduled with dear friends to meet at glam places for good food, deep conversations and to exchange gifts. What a blessing! Friends -- flowers in the garden of life!

Do you like my hat, Princess Kate?
We've even had time for a little foolishness while shopping... and admiring the clever handiwork of others.

an ornament from the Peacock tree

This evening (two weeks before Christmas!) was spent baking several dozen slice-and-bake cookies for a worthy cause, keeping in mind that we are blessed to be a blessing.

ingredients for dairy-free "egg nog"
This is my second Christmas season since I had to go gluten-free. Last year at this time I was really new with the diagnosis and felt a bit like a deer in the headlights.  I can't say I'm totally confident this time, but some good recipes are helping me to face this aspect of the season with more contentment. 

A gluten-free, dairy-free "eggnog" recipe has found its way into my kitchen.  (those with a gluten intolerance are often dairy intolerant  too) This evening I made this beverage for the second time. Beloved, who really enjoys a good non-alcoholic eggnog has declared this version as "not bad!" so I'm sharing the recipe with you. 

Dairy-Free Eggnog

Dairy-Free Eggnog (makes 1 serving)

3/4 cup vanilla almond milk
1 frozen banana (slice and freeze ahead of time)
dash of ground nutmeg
dash of ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon for garnish

Combine all ingredients except the cinnamon in a blender and process until smooth. Pour the nog into a pretty glass and garnish with ground cinnamon. Serve immediately.


these cookies are not gluten-free but they make for a nice picture!



1 comment: