Pages

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Hodgepodge Questions - Volume 201

from Mary's home - beautiful decor for Christmas
In today's Hodgepodge, Joyce has given us questions relating to the celebration of Christmas. I will enjoy seeing how my blogging friends respond by clicking on this link: From This Side of the Pond.


1. What is one new holiday tradition you'd like to establish, or one you've established recently, say in the last year or two?

.In recent years I've been sending out our Christmas greetings via a special blog I've designed for the sole purpose of Christmas greetings. I send an email to all the recipients with a link to the blog. I keep it available for them to read until the end of January and then I change the settings so it's not available.  Then the following Christmas season I write a new message (with pictures, of course) and open up the settings again. 

I will be sending out paper cards to just a few people, mostly elderly, who don't have a computer and/or don't do email. This whole idea enables me to be much more creative, saves a lot of time (and writer's cramp), and it's free-free-free!!!


2. It's the second week of December. Have you sipped a cup of eggnog yet this month? Wrapped a gift? Opened a gift? Lit a candle? Eaten a Christmas cookie? Seen Santa in person? Watched a Christmas movie or special? Read scripture relating to the birth of Jesus? 

Yes to the eggnog (a dairy-free version); yes I've wrapped many gifts so far; I opened a gift yesterday when I met my BFF for a Christmas lunch; I've flipped the switch on 5 electric candles on display with our Nativity scene; haven't had any Christmas cookies; haven't seen Santa in person (yet); watched The Nativity Story on DVD this past weekend (I highly recommend it); Beloved and I have been asked to read this next Sunday's Advent scripture in the first service at church.


3. Do you think it's better to be an adult or a child at Christmastime? Explain.

To be perfectly honest, it's more fun to be a child at Christmas but the real meaning of Christmas becomes more beautiful as an adult.


4. It's often said, 'Good things come to those who wait' ... agree or disagree? Why?

There are a lot of scriptures about waiting, so that in itself indicates waiting is a good thing. I have learned over the years that impulsiveness is often (but not always) something I later regret.


5. What's the last sweet thing you baked? Did you keep it, take it to a party/event, or give it away?

This past weekend I baked a gluten-free dessert as a 'test run' for a dessert to take to a Christmas party later this week. 


6. This question comes to us courtesy of Jhona who blogs over at The Red House at the End of the Lane. Everyone hop over and say hi to Jhona this week! Here is her question ... "I heard an actor talk about how he makes a conscious choice to talk to people in elevators. He chooses to connect, make eye contact, and converse. Do you talk to people/strangers when you're in an elevator or any other place where you might have to wait together? Why or why not?

While speaking to people in an elevator is not a habit with me, it's not unusual for me to say something lighthearted and perhaps humorous, just to be friendly and to relieve the potential tension of being in a small enclosure with someone I don't know. I've never had a reason to regret being pleasant in that way.

By the way, who was the actor? My guess is Matthew McConaughey.


7. Are you on the naughty or nice list this year? What put you there?

I don't know that I've done anything to be especially nice this year. I'm just trying to stay out of trouble!!


8. Insert your own random thought here. 




For many years I made table runners for Christmas gifts, although not this year. My friend Mary sent this picture of a Christmas table runner her quilting friend made for her.  It's Christmas on one side and Thanksgiving/Autumn on the opposite side. I am fascinated with this clever idea.

9 comments:

  1. I've definitely have had issues with elevator conversations, but occasionally do offer small talk. Nice idea with the blog for holidays, a nice yearly recap perhaps :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen The Nativity Story, so will look for that one. I love the table runner : ) Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You said it well for your answer to #3...my feelings exactly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea to send out Christmas greetings via a special blog for that purpose! Wish I had thought of that. Maybe it's not too late. I'm sure getting late at getting out greetings otherwise.

    I totally agree on that #3.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not sending cards this year however I have found a site that I can use to personalize my message.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the Christmas greeting blog. What a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We dearly love The Nativity Story, and this year purchased Mary of Nazareth, which is also excellent. I marvel at the strength of Mary, spiritually and emotionally.

    The reversible table runner is a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your CHRISTmas blog idea! I would be interested in knowing how your gluten-free dessert turned out. Will you be posting later about that?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, what a neat idea about a Christmas blog. I'm about to go and check that out. How cleaver!

    And, a reversible table runner, another cleaver idea.

    Christmas blessings!

    ReplyDelete