Pages

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Cherry Christmas Cake, Gluten-Free

Cherry Christmas Cake, Gluten-Free

Last night we attended a Christmas party for our Bible study class in the home of one of the members. Since I am gluten-intolerant, I take food to these kinds of gatherings that I know I can eat in case there is nothing else on the table for me (although my hosts are very good about letting the guests know ahead of time that some gluten-free dishes would be appreciated).  I'm also taking a salad, but I'll post that recipe another time. Typed below is the dessert I made. 

Oh by the way, my husband, who does not have to avoid gluten, liked the idea of including a tub of non-dairy whipped topping beside this dish for those who might like that.

Cherry Christmas Cake, Gluten-Free
makes 8-10 servings.  Adapted from page 194 of Forks Over Knives where it was titled, "Cherry Pineapple Cake." I made some changes from the original recipe. 

Fruit Mixture:
1 can (14.5 oz) red tart cherries,* drained
1 can (1 lb. 4 oz) crushed pineapple,* drained
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Topping:
1  1/2 cups almond flour
1/2 cup Bob's Gluten Free Whole Grain Oat Flour
1  1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 cup dry sweetener such as Xylitol
1  1/2 cups almond milk

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. For the fruit mixture, combine the cherries, pineapple, coconut, honey, and walnuts in a 9x13-inch baking pan.

For the topping, combine the almond flour and oat flour, baking powder, sweetener, and almond milk in a small bowl.

Pour this mixture over the fruit. DO NOT STIR.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 to 50 minutes.
                
Optional: serve with Cool Whip for those who may want it.

* You could replace the canned cherries and pineapple with equal amounts of any canned fruit (drained) for different flavors. For example, Apricots and peaches.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, this sounds like a nice thing to bring somewhere. It's very difficult for me especially since I am an ethical vegetarian/vegan in some cases. (It's complilcated) : )

    Have you ever tried the walmart stevia in a bag? It measures cup for cup with sugar, it's good for baking.

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip, Amelia! I'll keep it in mind.

    ReplyDelete