Pages

Thursday, November 6, 2014

This 'n That Yakkity Yak


antique family quilt made with upholstery fabrics

While we put away the jack o'lanterns and savor this month of Thanksgiving, little hints of Christmas are popping up. Actually, we have this plaque up year 'round because I love its homey message.

the parking lot at Walmart 
Not many of my blogging buddies post a snapshot of their Walmart parking lot.  I'm sharing with you my J.O.Y. and thankfulness that the repaving of a portion of the parking lot is finally done! Last fall they did the north end and this year it was the middle. Next fall I expect they'll repave the south end. The traffic consternation this causes is awful. But when it's done, it's  a beautiful thing.

My 'to do list' took me several places today. At Walmart I had a most pleasant conversation with a senior lady who needed my help getting something off the top shelf -- a real confidence-booster for me at 5 feet 1 inch tall!  Through the course of our visit we learned we are both Christ-followers, so we shared about our respective churches and she told me how the Lord healed her adult son after a terrible motorcycle crash. What an inspiring testimony she was to the Lord's mercy and goodness.

Snowmen outside the grocery store
I bought my groceries at Walmart and then, as is my usual habit, I stopped in at King Soopers to buy what Walmart didn't have. The  big pile of orange pumpkins has been replaced by snow people.  If I felt tempted to buy one of them, my mind was quickly changed when I tried to gently lift one up by the brim of his top hat.  Solid concrete, I do believe! No, I won't be taking any of these characters home with me! (at least one can be sure they won't blow away in the winter wind!)

snow blowers
My next stop was Lowe's where the new line-up of snow blowers was on display on the sidewalk.  For my southern friends, this is what we use in winter when our lawns are covered with snow!  Beloved has ours ready and waiting in the garage, fueled with a gasoline-and-oil mixture.  We live on a corner, so our snowblower is no frivolous expense when cleaning twice as much sidewalk as most of our neighbors! 

the Christmas display inside of Lowe's
I went to Lowe's in search of lamp harps and finials for two lamps I had bought at Walmart. This display begged for a snapshot.  I see Olaf from the Disney movie Frozen  up on the top left shelf. He's my current infatuation when it comes to snow people. But I'm not into the blow-ups and won't be buying one.

all that glitters is not gold
I did, however, buy these glittery gold stems that I intend to attach to a new Christmas wreath I am working on.  There will probably be gold glitter in the back of my car clear into summer! 

the dining chandelier on the left; the breakfast room chandelier on the right
One other purchase made today was artificial greenery for the light fixtures. The one on the left is a 12-foot garland intertwined and the one on the right is a 12-inch wreath that fit over the tops of the glass fixtures to rest on the supporting arms. I think I'll leave these up year 'round because I love them and they look so Colorado! Seasonal embellishments will be added later.

shoe boxes for Samaritan's Purse Operation Christmas Child

I probably I don't need to explain what these boxes are for. It's that time of year when kind-hearted people fill these boxes for underprivileged children in faraway places all over the globe.  Beloved and I like to make a date of it. We go to Walmart and part ways for about 20 minutes while he fills his box with boy toys and I fill mine with girl goodies.   Then we meet up again to compare what we've collected and go through the check-out line. We turn in our filled boxes at church the next Sunday.


Of course we get more than just toys: a comb, toothbrush, wash cloth, soap, a T-shirt, small toys, hair bows, a book, crayons -- fun things like that.  

Samaritan's Purse, headed up by Franklin Graham, son of evangelist Billy Graham, sends us pictures of children opening their boxes. It's very gratifying to see the thrilled facial expressions of the children.

The old song says "Yakkity yak, don't talk back," but if you'd like to leave a comment below about what you've been up to, I'd love to see it!

1 comment:

  1. I haven't been up to as much as you, that's for sure! I love 'stealing' ideas from my much-more-creative-than-me blogging friends! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete