Pages

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Remembering Our Veterans with Hodgepodge

Flag flying from our front porch 

Welcome to Hodgepodge Questions - Volume 197

Last week we took a break from the Hodgepodge because Joyce was oh-so-busy with wedding plans for her daughter. But she is back today and has given us questions that start off with the Veteran's Day theme and goes on from there. To see how other bloggers have responded to this question click on this link on Wednesday November 12.

Since I have been preoccupied with an involuntary detox exercise (a nasty stomach bug), I did not have a blog post prepared specifically for this holiday. Hodgepodge usually shows up on Wednesdays but since it's got a Veteran's Day theme, I'll post mine today, Tuesday November 11th.

1. We celebrate Veteran's Day in the US of A on November 11th. When did you last interact with a member of the armed forces (either currently serving or retired)? Have you ever written a letter to a soldier, bought a meal or coffee for a soldier, said an unprompted thank you for a soldier you encountered out and about somewhere? 

I live with a former military member, this past weekend I texted back and forth with a current military member, and today I'm sending that same person an email of thanks for service. I have also personally thanked current younger military personnel so they will be encouraged to know they have made a good choice to serve our country.

2. You can have fifty pounds of anything at all (except money)... what would you choose? 

Hmm. I have 9 grandchildren, so whichever one of them weighs 50 pounds (or close to it!), I'd like to spend time with them, in person.

3. When did you last receive an invitation in the 'real' mail? What was it for and did you attend? When it comes to RSVP-ing, are you an 'early responder' or a 'last minute, barely-under-the-wire' kind of guest?

The last invitation I received by mail was for a fund-raising campaign for an institute of higher learning. Let's say that doesn't count (along with invites to make-up, jewelry and kitchen utensil parties).  In that case, the last real (fun) invitation I think I've received is to attend my niece's wedding, 2 years ago. Sadly, we could not attend.  I appreciate the consideration of guests who respond sooner rather than later, so I do the same. 

4. What's something you really don't like to waste?

Time and money. Money and time. Both!

5. Cheers, Friends, MASH, Seinfeld ...of the ones listed, your favorite long-running sitcom?

Call me a spoil sport, but I never watched an entire episode of any of these shows except MASH and by and large, I did not like that one, either. I did enjoy The Bob Newhart Show and Carol Burnett.

6. What decision are you glad you made? *Wink! I'm putting THREE!

#1 to secure my eternity by trusting in Jesus Christ as my Savior. (see my link to Heavenbound, above)

#2 to marry Beloved, my husband of nearly 44 years

#3 to buy a house with all the bedrooms and bathrooms on the same floor

7. In this month of Thanksgiving, what is one thing that's different today than it was a year ago that you're grateful for? 

Two more grand babies are on the way, due to be born in the first half of 2015.

8. Insert your own random thought here:


The questions Joyce sends to us are always thought-provoking. I like to ponder them before submitting my responses. This week I brought my laptop into the guest room, which is where I fold laundry. I could glance at the Hodgepodge questions and then think about them while folding Beloved's T-shirts. After the folding was done, I brought the computer into my study and prepared this post!

Yes, yes. I know. I could have read her questions on my cell phone, but this way makes for a more interesting picture!


6 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your early Hodgepodge!! Joyce always has such great questions. See mine tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great early answers Barbara. Sorry the stomach bug got you. So, so awful and they can't leave quick enough. Love you 50# answer! Cute!
    Happy rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved your answers. I get Joyce's post on Tuesday so I can ponder them ahead of time as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like a thinker in the Hodgepodge : ) Most weeks the questions make me think too. I like the way they go in different directions, and sometimes inspire other posts on related topics. I never read anyone's answers until I've posted my own because I don't want to be swayed by their take on a topic. I liked your grandchild answer : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like your 2015 is going to be exciting. I also thought about my grandkids when reading the question about 50 pounds. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, how sweet about the 50# grandkid visiting! It must be wonderful to have time! My oldest is 15 so I hope it's a while before I am a grandma...although I have several friends who are grandmas already, many times.

    44 years?!? Wow! How blessed you and your husband are! Amazing! Many more to you both!

    ReplyDelete