Pages

Saturday, November 1, 2014

Food for the Soul November 1 - 2, 2014

Okra 

In October I submitted a post with my Roasted Octopus Fingers recipe.  (If you missed it, click here.) Some of you left interesting comments, which I appreciated. 


But clearly, not all people are fans of okra. That's okay. Their abstinence of the vegetable leaves more for the rest of us. 



This past week I needed a quick and handy driving-the-car snack. I was in Sprouts, a health food grocery store that is very popular here in Colorado.  I decided to try their roasted-and-salted okra (pictured above) and a bottle of healthy green juice. Both filled my foodie needs very well as I continued my day in the car. 



I can't say this form of okra is my favorite.  It tasted more sweet and not as salty as I expected, but for mindless munching while driving down the Interstate, it was at least not messy. 



Okra reminds me of people. Most of us appear, if we are really honest, very ordinary and people might not see our potential at first glance. But when we get put into the frying pan of life, so to speak, or get roasted in an oven, flavors can emerge that make us distinctive and really enjoyable. 


At least, I think God looks at us that way.  Why else would He allow hardships that challenge us but eventually transform us into people of interest and value to others? 


I know, comparing people to okra is strange, but I think you get the point.  



... we are transfigured much like the Messiah,
our lives gradually becoming  brighter
and more beautiful as God enters our lives
and we become like him.

II Corinthians 3:18 The Message

4 comments:

  1. I love okra and enjoyed your little comparison/devotional!
    Your "octopus fingers" sound delicious -- I'll have to try those sometime!
    Thanks for visiting my blog and for your sweet comment! The lighthouse (profile) photo is one I took several years back on Assateague Island.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am one of those okra haters. Sorry. You are welcome to my portions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. From growing up in OK, I have always LOVED okra! I'd never see it like this. We were in Cracker Barrell last week & they had a container, something like this. I just couldn't imagine eating it, though. Hope it made your driving easier. LOL!
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to try the roasted and salt okra snack someday--it sounds tasty!

    It is true we are all different, yet we are all the same in God's eyes.

    ReplyDelete