Pages

Friday, November 28, 2014

A Tardy Wednesday Hodgepodge - Volume 199

Since I was busy with family and friends up to and on Thanksgiving Day, my submission to the Hodgepodge is late this week...  But now that the busyness is behind us, here are my answers to questions supplied by Joyce. Happy weekend, everybody!! To see how others have replied to these same questions, click here: From This Side of the Pond



1. Besides U.S. Thanksgiving, it's also National Game and Puzzle Week... what game have you played most recently, and who were you with? Have you worked a puzzle of any kind in the past week? 

While visiting at the home of one of my sons earlier this week, I helped two of my grandchildren assemble wood puzzles I brought with me. I also played with puzzles provided for my great-nieces at my sister's house.

2. What is one place you were thankful for this year?

I am thankful for my memories of the years we lived in Rapid City, South Dakota (1972-1976). While I did not enjoy the harsh winters and summer heat, those years were in my early adulthood and I learned valuable lessons.

3. Take a nap, watch football, go for an after dinner walk, or hit the stores ... which ONE is on your must-do list for Thanksgiving Day? For those of you playing along who aren't in the US, answer as it relates to any big holiday meal. 

Watch football -- although it's more to be with those I love and not because I'm wild about football.

4. Besides Thanksgiving, what's your favorite home cooked meal?

My favorite home-cooked meal has changed drastically since I began eating a gluten-free, mostly vegan, plant-based diet. My fav now is seasoned tofu meatballs with a crusty baked surface served over a non-dairy cashew-based alfredo sauce atop baked spaghetti squash. This is accompanied with a salad of mixed greens with dried cranberries toasted pecans, and a gluten-free honey mustard dressing.

5. What product from an infomercial would you most like to own?

Uh... nothing comes to mind. I don't give in to hype much at all. I just don't trust it.

6. Christmas shopping? Have you begun? Finished? Will you shop on Black Friday? How do you feel about stores opening on Thanksgiving Day? What percentage of your Christmas shopping is done online?

Yes, I have begun my Christmas shopping and have just this week delivered some of the packages while visiting family (to save postage). No I will not did not shop on Black Friday. 

As for stores opening for sales on Thanksgiving Day, I am grieved (that's the right word) that our nation can't stop for a full 24 hours to spend time in dedicated thankfulness to God for the abundant blessings He gives to us so faithfully. 

I have not done any online Christmas shopping yet this year, but I'm not done yet, so I may be contacting Amazon. Most of what I give is bought locally or is a  cash gift.

7. What are you most grateful for that adds beauty to your everyday life? 

My family, both near and far -- by far!!

8. Insert your own random thought here.

Winter has without a doubt arrived, even though by the calendar it's got several more weeks to go. I snapped this picture of a cornfield from our hotel room in northern Illinois on Thanksgiving morning. 


I love winter with the thick warm socks, colorful scarves, quilts,  roaring fireplaces, spicy foods, comforting mugs of hot tea, and holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas. Although my snapshot looks bleak, it's just the earth taking a long winter's nap, which is necessary for a beautiful spring and summer!

1 comment:

  1. Good to catch up, and Hodgepodge is great any day of the week! Even pictures of snow make me shiver!! :)

    ReplyDelete