Pages

Monday, October 13, 2014

Pumpkin Crumble Dessert

Pumpkin Crumble Dessert


November 1st will be the one-year anniversary of my entrance into the culinary world of gluten- and dairy-free cooking.

People ask me if it's been a hard transition. Yes and no.  To "fall off the wagon" tends to be self-correcting. (I get sick)  Since I cook for just Beloved and myself, it's not been hard to prepare ahead of time what I need and then to cook something for him that he likes.  It would be more challenging if I were preparing meals for more people all of the time.

There is a lot of help available to people like me. I am very blessed in that my daughter has been eating this way over twice as long as me, so she has taught me a lot of tips and sent me tons of recipes.

There are also books and websites on the subject. Google is one of my best resources. Not any one website or book is my final word on the topic.  I have learned to take out of each source what applies to me and ignore the rest. 

As a result, I have been blessed with a healthy weight loss (and new, smaller clothes), an improved disposition, and good health. 

Autumn presents some challenges as we close our windows to the cold wind that blows down off the mountains, and people speak often of hunkering down in their snuggy homes with pumpkin-flavored lattes, pumpkin-shaped and frosted cookies, and quick breads spiced with all that reminds us of this fun season. 

Today I am sharing with you a dessert recipe Beloved and I enjoyed this past Friday night.  

Fresh or canned pumpkin?
 My first decision in preparing this recipe was to decide if I would use a fresh, pie pumpkin from the store, or a can of pureed pumpkin.  I decided to go fresh.

I brought the orange orb home but in my first attempt to slice it I remembered that I had promised myself to ask the men in the produce department to cut these things in half before I bring them home -- but I forgot! With the fear of risking personal injury if I were to continue to fight with the pumpkin, and the fact that Beloved would not be home for several hours to do the job himself, I decided to use a can of pumpkin that was already sitting in my pantry.

Good choice. Much less messy.  

This treat is quick and easy.  It is made up of a filling and a topping. Make them each up separately and don't put them together until just prior to serving, to prevent the topping from getting soggy.

Pumpkin Crumble Dessert (makes 4 servings)

Pumpkin Filling:

15 ounce can pumpkin (just pumpkin, NOT pie filling)
10 pitted Medjool dates
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1 tsp cinnamon (or pumpkin pie spice)
1/2 tsp sea salt

Crumble:

1 cup walnuts
1  1/3 cups pitted Medjool dates
2 Tbsp hemp seeds
1 Tbsp chia seeds
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup dried cranberries for garnish


In a blender combine the Pumpkin Filling ingredients, processing until smooth and creamy.  Set aside.

In a food processor combine the Crumble ingredients except for the dried cranberries. Process only briefly. You want the walnuts to be broken up but don't allow the whole mixture to become powder. 

To serve, spoon about 1/2 cup of the Pumpkin Filling into individual glass bowls, then top with the Crumble.  Garnish with the dried cranberries.


Pumpkin Crumble Dessert




2 comments:

  1. The dessert looks lovely! Thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious. Smart choice on the canned pumpkin. Congratulations to sticking with the gluten free, and the weight loss. Have a blessed day. ~ Abby

    ReplyDelete