Pages

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Hodgepodge Questions - Volume 196

This week's Hodgepodge is especially fun. We've 'gone to the birds' with the questions and answers. I've also included some whimsey  about 'my staff' at the very end.   Thank you, Joyce, for coming up with such blogging fun with these clever questions! 

To link up with other bloggers who have answered these questions, click on the link below:



1. My hubs spent last weekend pheasant hunting. Are there hunters in your family? If so, what do they hunt? Which of the following have you tasted-pheasant, rabbit, venison, duck, goose? which of those would you most like to taste, or be most willing to taste?

Vegetarians keep calm and Hodgepodge on.

My husband used to hunt in the early years of our marriage, but now he's a fly fisherman. He brought home a pheasant when we lived in South Dakota and now what remains of the fowl is stuffed and on display in Beloved's study. 

2. What high spot have you visited that gave you a wonderful 'bird's eye view' of something below?

I blogged about that very subject just this past weekend.... click here to see it. Here is one of the pictures I used in that post:


I took this photo from the lookout at Castle Rock, overlooking
the Interstate and rail road tracks that run through my town

3. Do you have any birds in your home? These could be either real live pets or decorative, as in bird prints, knickknacks, fabric or pottery.

Just this one on display atop a bookcase (mentioned in question #1 above):


4. Tell about a time you "killed two birds with one stone."

Sort of like multi-tasking ... (1) vastly improving my health and (2) easily getting breakfast prepared and out of the way ... I do that by making a green smoothie in my Vitamix at least 6 days of the week.

5. Your favorite song with a bird in it's title?

Hands down, Rockin' Robin! Click here to see a YouTube video of it.

6. What most recently gave you goose bumps?

Waving goodbye to Beloved as he left for work this morning. I stood in the COLD garage and waved goodbye to him. We had our first hard frost of the season last night.

7. Halloween is this Friday ... any plans? Did you trick or treat as a child? Carve pumpkins? Share your most memorable costume.

Trick or Treating as a kid was fun for me until I got braces when I was 10 years old and then the whole candy thing changed for me. My favorite costume was dressing as a gypsy because my mother made a green vest for me with gold rickrack for decoration and I got to wear some of her jewelry and makeup.

8. Insert your own random thought here.

My long-time readers are well-acquainted with my own personal staff that helps me with housekeeping, cooking, and social responsibilities.  I don't include them in my blog posts as much as I used to because times are so truly serious that I don't want to come across as disrespectful or flip.  



But late this afternoon I remembered Jill Duggar's wedding was to be featured in a 2-hour TV special on TLC and I had wanted to watch it. (Jill Duggar, one of the children in "19 Kids and Counting."

When Kate Middleton and Prince William were married a few years ago, my staff dressed up for the occasion with fancy hats and a photo session in front of the television for the blog.  They wanted to dress  up for this wedding, too, but time was short and I needed to get started on dinner.  We have moved since the Royal wedding, so I wasn't just exactly sure where the fancy hats were stored.


Left to right: Grammy Bear in lime green tulle, Mandy Sue in her nurse's hat, Lily in orange satin and lace,
Eaves Dropping (the Home and Garden Editor of the local newspaper)
and our chef Mrs Berniece Mertz, a vision of loveliness in pink net and feathers.


Well, we managed to pull it off. I found some of the hats and for the rest I quickly put together some scraps of tulle from my sewing room. Oh, well, except for Mandy Sue. We couldn't find her hat and so she wore a nurse's hat!  I took some photos to share with you.





Right after dinner everyone found a place to sit in front of the TV.  Grandad Bear didn't want to wear a hat (although he was offered a black top hat). Spud, his handy assistant is self-conscious about his balding head, so he always wears a ball cap, wedding or not.


Well, the occasion was lovely and we had slices of frozen Lime Coconut pie during the telecast of the wedding reception. We do have fun around here!

6 comments:

  1. A nice group for watching the wedding! Did you eat all the pie that they couldn't finish? I would have!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. That doll and bear collection watching the TV is so cute! :-) The pheasant looks like he's enjoying his new home. And of course I love the view from your high spot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recorded the wedding and hope to watch it while I have lunch today. I would love to try fly fishing-thats' on my list of things to learn. I think I'd like it. I love being outdoors and love the water too. And I like fish : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fly fishing is awesome. I enjoy fishing. I totally forgot about my husband office which is filled with duck decoys. I love having smoothies for breakfast. I love your staff, they looked so cute for the wedding.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, my Princess would likely love it if I had a staff. She would think that was great and they are too cute!

    Wish it would hurry up and get chilly here so I could get goose bumps too. :o))

    Happy rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your staff looks spellbound watching the wedding on TV ;) Is that the second of their daughters to get married?

    Busy weekend here with our grandboys sleeping over. They have so much energy!

    ReplyDelete