Pages

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Hodgepodge October 8


Hodgepodge 193

This week Joyce has us talking about finances and pet peeves, cartoon characters and pestilences. (I'm interested to see how I am going to answer these questions!!)  To see what other bloggers have to say to these same questions, click on this link: From This Side of the Pond

1. Do you manage your own money or do you have a financial planner who helps in some way? Do those kinds of conversations stress you out? A lot or a little?

We have a financial planner who helps us choose different places to invest our money (not all in the same place). We meet with him yearly (or any time we have questions) to evaluate and make any changes we may (or may not) want to make. 


I encourage everybody to do this. You don't have to be wealthy (we aren't!) to benefit from a financial planner who does this kind of thing all the time and can make your money really work for you. 


2. The second week of October is Pet Peeve Week. Off the top of your head, share TWO of your current pet peeves.

Number One: People who drive the wrong way down a parking lot aisle and then have to go to great effort to turn their car into a parking space.


Number Two: People who leave their shopping cart in the middle of an aisle at the grocery store.


3. What is one thing you'd like to learn right now, this very week if you could?

Hardly a day goes by that I don't do research on the Internet about something I want to know or something I want to learn. Usually it has to do with medical questions, cooking, or sewing. 

4. How concerned are you about the recent health related news concerning Ebola? How about Enterovirus D68?

There is little I can do to avoid it beyond washing my hands often and avoiding the body fluids of others. I am concerned that these diseases (and others) are or will quickly invade the USA due to the lack of strict border controls along Mexico.

5. Garfield, Nemo, or Tigger-your favorite orange cartoon character?

None of the above, really. I'll go with Garfield because he loves lasagna and so do I. But as far as my favorite cartoon character, currently it's Olaf from Disney's movie, Frozen.  I plan to add him to my snowman collection when I pull it out this year.




6. I'm going to see Gone Girl with my neighborhood book club this week. So often books made into film are disappointing. What's a book turned film you thought was well done, in that the casting was 'like you pictured' when you read the book, and the film plot remained mostly true to the book plot?


Left Behind, written by Tim Lahaye and Jerry Jenkins. I read it years ago when the book first came out. We saw the first movie with Kirk Cameron and then last night saw the most recent version of it with Nicolas Cage. Good film. Very thought-provoking. As for staying close to the book plot, this film just covers the first day. I recommend it. Then you decide what you think. Here is the link to the movie trailer: http://www.leftbehindmovie.com


7. What is one story your family always tells about you?

There was the time my family (Beloved, me, and our three children ages 6, 4, and 2 years) were invited to our pastor and his wife's apartment for lunch. While the men sat and talked in the living room,  the pastor's wife and I took my kids to the apartment swimming pool. I stood on the side of the pool watching them play in the water while still dressed in my Sunday church clothes.  The 4-year old lost his footing in the pool and starting bobbing up and down.  Nobody else could reach out and grab him, so I kicked off my heels and jumped in to save him. He is alive and well today at age 39. 

8. Insert your own random thought here.

A good idea, all the time:



7 comments:

  1. Good morning! Enjoyed this as always. We too saw Left Behind and thought it was really pretty good. They don't get beyond the first day so I wondered if they would do more. It would certainly make you wonder what the Bible is saying about all of this if you didn't know. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree....counting your blessings keeps you grounded and it should be done daily, at least. Oh, who could resist Olaf? Such a cutie pie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story!In have started meme on Mondays called Memory Monday and hope you will join in and share your memories with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are two excellent pet peeves! Olaf is my favorite right now. Hallmark already sold out of the ornament this year but I did get one and Jim Shore has a really cute figurine of him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I count my blessings daily - several times. So blessed. I enjoyed your Hodgepodge today!! Good story about saving your little one! Olaf is the cutest snowman I've ever seen....what's not to love?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad to hear your thoughts on Left Behind. Been trying to decide if I want to see this version or not. I try to count my blessings every day. Life is much sweeter that way : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have not been to the movies in ages! Now that my husbsnd is retired we hope to go more often. You pet peeves are good ones. I'd add people who drive distracted by being on their phones! So glad you were there to save your child from drowning!

    ReplyDelete