Pages

Friday, October 3, 2014

A Quilter's Eye Candy

The Colorado Quilt Council's annual Quilt-a-Fair in Longmont, Colorado Sept 26-27, 2014
This is a delightful time of year for quilters in Colorado. Last weekend I drove up to Longmont to the Boulder County Fairgrounds to enjoy the annual Quilt-a-Fair.  

Today I am posting just a couple of pictures from that show and then many more pictures from the quilt show put on by the Castle Rock Quilt Club in the Philip S. Miller Public Library. That is free and open to the public October 3-5.

At the very end of this post are a couple of quilts I made over the summer for two great-nieces who have recently been born into my extended family.


This was my favorite at the Quilt-a-Fair

A fan pattern at the Quilt-a-Fair
Although there were a ton of quilts at the Quilt-a-Fair, they only allow us to photograph the ones that are hanging from the ceiling. I had to use the zoom feature on my camera to take these. 

The next [many] quilt pictures are from the free display at my public library. This show is on through this Sunday, October 5th, so if you are local and able to see it, you will not be disappointed.



.
This was my favorite in the show
.
This was flowers with raw edges. I like the technique and may try it some time.
.

.
Just as in art galleries,  you are not supposed to touch the quilts on display.
.
If you want to see the back of a quilt, you are supposed to ask one of the white glove ladies to
turn the quilt for you.
.
Last year this quilt club issued a challenge with a pattern for a quilted jacket.
Here are 3 of the completed jackets on display.
.
Patriotic quilts are always striking
.

I like the colors and simplicity of this quilt
.


.


.

.
This stunning quilt with a southwestern pattern was made by a former
neighbor of mine in Colorado Springs
.


.
This quilt looks like Colorado!
.
.
.
.

.
This is a quilt with an old window sill for a frame
.
The good contrast of fabrics and sharp geometric design
of the stars in this quilt really appeal to my husband

.
A good design for all those scraps we quilters have
.
A static demonstration of how to make a quilt
.
It takes a lot of courage to display a couple of my own simple quilts in the same blog post with all the excellent examples at the quilt shows.  But with that said, here they are. 
.

Both of these are made with the same pattern using different color variations. The one on the left is for my great-niece, Kaylee, born in early September. The one on the right is for my great-niece, Saida, born just 2 nights ago! 

I make my baby quilts about 45 inches square and almost entirely with my sewing machine so the finished product can be washed many times. My quilts are made to be used, although I do like to hang some on the walls of my home.

This concludes the Quilter's Eye Candy blog post. I hope you enjoyed it and perhaps got inspired to do some sewing of your own!

Barbara puts the finishing touches on Saida's quilt






1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, those are all just gorgeous! I can see why that particular one was your favorite. I like the ones with applique, and ones that show a scene. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete