Pages

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Wednesday Hodgepodge for September 3, 2014


From This Side of the Pond, http://www.fromthissideofthepond.com

Joyce is taking us back-to-school with today's questions. They were fun to answer and I hope you enjoy the reading! To see what other bloggers have to say on this subject, click on this link:


1. What's something you wanted to do this summer that you never got around to actually doing? I wanted to sew new accessories for the house but had some other sewing for gifts that needed to be done first. I got those sewed gifts done and in the last couple of weeks I've been working on the projects for the house. Here are some pictures of what's been accomplished thus far:


a touch of color on the toilet tank in our guest bathroom
a matching quilted mat for the reading bench in the guest bathroom


a countertop mat for the guest bathroom, breaking up all that white
a black plaid toaster oven cover ; the shirred curtains and wall quilt were made last summer.


2. Share a favorite memory of your own back-to-school days as a child? We moved A LOT while I was growing up, so school was not my favorite thing. For the most part I was blessed with satisfactory grades and experiences that matured me instead of driving me to rebellion.  My favorite school of the thirteen I attended (Kindergarten through high school graduation) was my last high school. We had a before-school Youth for Christ club that met weekly. That group was a huge encouragement to me.


3. What's one chore or daily task you prefer doing 'old-school'?
One of my daily priorities, no matter what the occasion, is to dress modestly. How we present ourselves to the world can show respect, humility (and good sense) -- traits greatly lacking in current culture. I also refuse to wear advertisements on my clothing. 


4. Share something you've learned in life through the 'school of hard knocks'? Moving so much as both a child and then as an adult,  (I've lived in 11 states and 1 Canadian province) has taught me how to initiate conversations with strangers and to be a good listener.  As a result, I tend to make friends easily.



5. As a child, did you mostly bring or buy your lunch for school? What was your favorite thing to find in your lunchbox? I probably took my lunch to school more than buying it. At 2 or 3 of my elementary schools  I walked home for lunch! (and then went back to school for the afternoon)  In the first grade, we lived in New York City for 3 months. That school always served hamburgers on Mondays, so my mother would let me buy my lunch on those days. They had the best ketchup!  I raved about it so much that one day my mother came to the school during lunchtime just to find out what kind it was. I don't remember what it was but it certainly brightened my day when I got to eat the school's hamburgers!



6. Football season is upon us which has me wondering ... how big of a sports fan are you (not just football)? On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being 'I scream at the players through my television screen' and 1 being 'is knitting a sport?' where do you fall in fandom? Hmm. I need to be careful how I reply to this question because Beloved reads my blog... I sit with him while he watches the Denver Broncos. I like our team but I'm about a 3 when it comes to getting involved with the game. My favorite thing about sports is seeing good sportsmanship both on and off the field. When players take seriously their position as a role model and behave with tact and good character -- that's what makes me stand up and cheer!!!  (I don't care what they say, they are role models whether they want to be or not!)



7. Share a favorite quote you think might inspire students of all ages at the start of a new school year. Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. II Timothy 2:15


P.S. Back to Question 3 about what I do that's "old school" ... I still use the King James Version of the Bible a lot, although I also study from the NIV and Amplified and other versions, too.

8 comments:

  1. Oh, I so agree with you on the modesty in dressing. My goodness, the sights that can be seen. It's insane! I'm so thankful that my DIL is already thinking about that when she dresses our Princess because she knows she is setting the tone for the rest of her life.

    My Dad still enjoys, and always will, the KJV of the Bible. I prefer the New Living, just so much easier for me to understand.

    I went to 7 different schools from 1st thru 12th grades. My Dad was a minister and we moved a whole lot. I have friends all across the country as a result.

    Happy rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was curious as to which Canadian province you spent time in?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We lived in Vancouver, British Columbia in 1966. I was a teenager, so that was a special adventure, especially because my sister and I enrolled in Canadian schools.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful that you are a sewer, your projects look great! That is a very good lesson you learned through the hard knocks. That is a good Bible verse for students. I have really become a fan of the NIV Bible, I can comprehend it better than the King James.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your sewing projects are really beautiful! Great fabric for the bathroom! I grew up with the KJV of the Bible (Methodist), but have six different versions on my Kindle and three versions at home. I read the New American Bible, Revised Edition, (Catholic)most often (daily). I enjoyed your Hodgepodge!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your projects are terrific! I really like the rich, warm colors. I have a reading bench like that in the grand kids' bedroom. Never thought about one in the bathroom. Great idea.
    I also like your comments about how we dress. It's incredible the way people go out in public these days ... on purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your sewing projects look very pretty, Barbara! I like the autumn colors.

    I can't imagine moving so often and going to so many different schools! That must have been an education in itself.

    I went to a public school for kindergarten and then a parochial school first grade through high school. My HS was an all girls HS! also lived in the same house growing up and then bought a house 7 house away from my Mother, so I almost live my entire life in one place until we moved to Colorado. I thought the adjustment to moving would be difficult, but so far it has gone well. I'm sure that is because our children and grandchildren are nearby and keep me busy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your sewing projects are wonderful. I wish I had a sewing room. I have to use my dining room and hate leaving clutter about. I would sew more if I had a room where I could close the door. Loved all your answers.

    ReplyDelete