Pages

Monday, September 8, 2014

Thoughts of Peace and Comfort

photography by Denise near Grand Lake, Colorado in September 2014

For the past nearly three weeks I have been waiting on the results of some serious medical lab work.  I was told it would take about this long and thus far I have been at peace about it. But today, quite frankly, the calm is wearing a little thin. 

Media news about global current events and the conversations of family, friends, and townspeople are troublesome, too. There is much about us to disturb tranquility of mind and to steal away the joy of normal, everyday pleasures.

One thing I've learned in recent years is that when we feel out of sorts, that is always an indiction that we need more of Jesus. I am meditating on His Word today, turning over in my mind what He has said to us and applying it to my thoughts. 

He created us to trust Him, even in the face of great evil and misgivings about [anything]. When I focus on His Word instead of continually replaying in my mind all the bad things, I find that my breathing slows and my shoulders relax.

Here are just a few of the verses that have helped me today:


We know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. 
Romans 8:28

God keeps in perfect peace those whose minds are stayed on Him because they trust in Him. 
Isaiah 26:3

Blessed is the [person] ... [whose] delight is in the law of the Lord, and on His law he mediates day and night. Psalm 1:1, 2

Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is His faithfulness. I say to myself, "The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for Him." The Lord is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him; it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord. Lamentations 3:22-26

[May we all] grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and forever! Amen.
II Peter 3:18






1 comment: