Pages

Friday, September 12, 2014

Lime Coconut Dessert


cooking and quilting by blog author

Stephanie, a new friend, came to dinner at my house last weekend while both of our hubbies were at a men's retreat in the mountains with the church guys. 

My dessert after the pasta and salad dinner was a successful first-time effort with no dairy, no gluten, and no heated cooking. It looked and tasted like Key Lime Pie.  I adapted it from Brad Gruno's book, Brad's Raw Made Easy


Friday night's dessert

The original version of this recipe calls for "maca powder" but I left that out. Truth be told, the day before Stephanie came over, I made up the crust with the mysterious maca powder (purchased at a local health-food market), which is said to be a really amazing healthy and tasty plant root that comes from Peru, often smuggled out due to its  growing popularity.  

The recipe called for just 1 teaspoon, but wowzers, did that little teaspoon pack a punch! I had a little trouble going to sleep that night and the next morning I felt so very dizzy! That feeling lasted about 24 hours after I had my first taste of the stuff. 

After the vertigo hit me, I read on the Internet that one is to gradually work up to using this ingredient because of it's potency.   It also issued a warning if one is pregnant. Hmm. Just one teaspoon had put me over the edge.  I decided  I couldn't do that to my dinner guest and tossed out the maca powder, along with the pie crust. Then I started over. The second pie crust was still very tasty and didn't give me a "high." 

I tell you that to say that this venture of mine to transition to gluten-free, dairy-free, mostly raw and mostly vegan has not been without it's adventures and this was one of them!

Mr. Gruno's recipe also called for dried apricots, but I forgot to pick them up at the store, so I substituted 4 Tablespoons of golden raisins. I have absolutely nothing against dried apricots (love 'em, as a matter of fact).

Lime Coconut 'Cheesecake', adapted

Crust:
1  1/2 cups walnuts, soaked overnight and drained
10 Medjool dates, sliced in half and pits removed
4 Tbsp golden raisins
1/4 tsp sea salt

Filling:
3 cups cashews, soaked for 2-6 hours and drained
1/2 cup raw honey
3/4 cup coconut oil, melted
2 tsp vanilla extract
6 Tbsp lime juice
2 Tbsp lime zest

Make the crust:
Place the walnuts, dates, raisins, and sea salt in a food processor and pulse to combine. Scoop out the dough and push it into the bottom of an 8-inch pie plate. Put the plate into the refrigerator while making the filling.

Make the filling:
Place the cashews, honey, coconut oil, vanilla, lime juice, and lime zest in a blender and puree until smooth. Remove the crust from the refrigerator and pour in the filling. Freeze for at least 4 hours to set. 

When ready to eat, cut the pie into 12 slices and let them defrost at room temperature.  This is not a low-calorie dessert but it is very healthy and flavorful.

look close to see the flecks of lime zest



5 comments:

  1. Good morning Well I went gluten free about 2 years ago now and I search constantly for new recipes. This sounds really good. WOW on that powder! Good tip..I'll remember that. Hope you enjoy your week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds yummy. Love all the healthy ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If that powder has that kind of punch, no wonder you can't find it in the stores at times. Whew! The pie looks great and the recipe is interesting. I may try it when my vegan daughter-in-law visits next time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The taste of this pie really is a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Key Lime Pie and that one looks really good, minus the powder.

    You commented about thinking about your wasp nest being blog fodder "after the fact." Well, my husband thinks that I am constantly on the look out for blog fodder and I am. I live with my camera attached to my hip (actually in my purse) and ready to capture whatever is going on. But, it's such fun to me. :o)

    Saw you had snow on your porch this morning. We're suppose to have a cool morning tomorrow but no snow. Have a great weekend!!!!

    ReplyDelete