Pages

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Hodgepodge Wednesday for September 10th


Today's Hodgepodge questions from Joyce at her blog, FromThisSideofthePond, hit on a variety of topics. I look forward to seeing the responses of other bloggers at http://www.fromthissideofthepond.com.



1. On Thursday we pause to remember a dark day in history - 9/11. Will you mark it in some way?

I will most certainly remember what happened on that day in 2001. As was my usual habit, I had the morning news on the TV but had turned it off to go upstairs to shower. Nothing out of the ordinary was happening. Then the phone rang and my daughter-in-law did not identify herself but simply said, "Do you have your TV turned on?"  I stretched out the phone cord to pick up the TV remote. Shock, of course. We said we loved each other and hung up. My son, her husband, who is a military man would surely be called up to do something, so we did not want to tie up the phone line. 

The words to an old Isaac Watts hymn came to mind. Unabashedly I sang it aloud to God in the bedroom that morning, truly wondering if I would be seeing Him face-to-face before day's end.

from The Broadman Hymnal

However, by God's mercies, that was not the end for us.  Six years later, on September 11th, my 6th grandchild was born! That seems like an odd day for a birthday, but it is a sign that life goes on.


Grandchild Number 6 enjoys a special straw his mother gave to him

2. Do you ever/still ... listen to an actual radio?  
Yes, my car radio is always set to a local Christian radio station, KPOF Denver 91 on the AM dial.

Watch a videotape (VCR)? 
No.  

Look up a number in a phonebook?  
No  

Refer to a paper map while traveling? 
Sometimes I'll pull the Rand McNalley Atlas out of the seat pocket in our car, but that's more for entertainment than for directions. I have always enjoyed maps and geography.

Set an alarm on an alarm clock as opposed to your phone? 
Now that IS something I did do just the other day. Beloved was out of town for 2 nights and it was easier to use the alarm clock on my side of the bed instead of his, so I set it for 5:30am.

3. Is it ever a good idea to discuss religion or politics with people you don't know?  
I'm willing to share what Scripture says, but I don't argue about it.

4. What's a dish you haven't eaten all summer, but come September find yourself craving? Have you made it yet this month? 
I'd love to have some rhubarb crisp but won't because I'd have to eat it all by myself. I don't think I know anybody (local, anyway) who would enjoy eating it with me. I think maybe my mother is the only person I know, besides myself, who likes rhubarb, but she lives nearly a thousand miles away.

5. What's something you know nothing about?
Among other things, I know very little about what's under the hood of my car, and I'm thankful others take care of that kind of thing for me. I don't understand tire gauges  either. Beloved has explained how they work but they are still a mystery to me. 

6. September is Classical Music Month. Do you like classical music? If so, what's your favorite piece? 
Yes, I do enjoy classical music. It's "music to soothe the soul of the savage beast." If I had to narrow it down to my favorite piece it would have to be Trumpet Voluntary. The bride of my husband's college roommate entered the church sanctuary with Trumpet Voluntary and I thought it was thrilling.

7. What's the oldest thing you own? We have some antique furniture from my husband's side of the family; but from my family, the oldest thing I own is probably my mother's cedar hope chest. She gave it to me this past summer when we drove out to see her in the midwest.  It's probably about 68 years old.

unpacking my mother's cedar chest from our car

8. Insert  your own random thought here.
Do you know where you will go when you die? If you were to stand at Heaven's gate tonight and Jesus met you there, how would you reply to His question: Why should I let you into My Heaven? 

If you don't know what you would say, read this link:
http://myjournalreflections.blogspot.com/p/how-to-go-to-heaven.html



6 comments:

  1. I am glad you have something to celebrate and feel thankful for on Sept 11th. Life is changed but carries on. Happy birthday to your grand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would give anything to have my mother's hope chest, but my brother in AR. has it in storage. There is no way of me getting it right now. Hopefully, one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed reading your answers today. I also said my car under something I know nothing about. How wonderful to have your mother's hope chest, it looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading your answers today. I think we might have much in common. LOVED your random thought...perfect Happy birthday to your grandson! What a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was a great Hodgepodge this week (well, every week). I have my mom's cedar chest, too, and that was my answer. I enjoyed your answers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that hymn, Barbara! And I laughed at your grandson's 'straw' glasses. I've got to find those for my grandsons! :-) Our daughter has my grandma's hope (cedar) chest, a real treasure!

    ReplyDelete