Pages

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Hodgepodge Questions-Volume 190

It's Wednesday (although I'm actually writing this on Tuesday in preparation for Wednesday), which means this is Hodgepodge Day.  Joyce comes up with the most amazing questions, all centered around a theme of some sort, and a bunch of us who blog do our best to respond.  

Joyce is celebrating a birthday this week (she didn't say which day nor which year, but I am certain she's younger than me -- check out her picture on her blog and you'll agree). So Happy Birthday Joyce!  I hope all your dreams come true!



With that said, here are the questions and my answers.  Click here to see how other bloggers have responded.

1. I'm celebrating a birthday this week so a question relating to aging feels appropriate. Douglas MacArthur is quoted as saying, 'You are as young as your faith, as old as your doubt; as young as your self-confidence, as old as your fear; as young as your hope, as old as your despair.' Would you agree? If not, why not?

That's a pretty deep quote. I had to read it a couple of times to let it sink in. But yes, I agree, especially on the "as old as your fear." Fear can really do bad things to us.

2. What remarkable feat, interesting piece of trivia, or historical event occurred on your birth day and month? Not necessarily in your birth year, just the same date/same month.

What an interesting question! I Googled my birth month and day and learned that on March 16th in 597 BC the Babylonians captured Jerusalem, replacing Jehoichin with Zedekiah as king. For somebody who has done a lot of Bible study over the years, and especially in the Old Testament, I find this discovery to be intriguing.


3. Describe a time or circumstance where you wanted to 'have your cake and eat it too.'

Last year when we moved to our brand new house, I wanted to also have a drop-dead, north-to-south expansive view of the Rocky Mountains.  That didn't happen. Those lots don't come cheap, ya' know!

4. What's something you do that makes you feel young? Something that makes you feel old?

Whenever my hair is long enough to wear a fluffed-up, curly ponytail, I feel young (my hair's too short for that right now). Looking at the photo on my current driver's license makes me feel old (it's a terrible picture.  I should pay the extra money to have another one made; it's that bad.)

5. When did you last do something that was 'a piece of cake'?

I wish I could think of a clever response for this one but I feel brain dead. Putting a binding on a quilt is pretty easy for me. And people often tell me how nice it looks when I'm done.

6. Beef, wine, and cheese all improve with age. What's something else you'd add to that list? (not necessarily food or beverage)

Marriage. Marriage gets better with age because, if the foundation of the relationship is based on Biblical principles, through the years we learn to love and respect each other the way our Creator intended.

7. If I were to have a giveaway when we hit Volume 200, what should I give away?  By my calculations we'll hit Volume 200 on November 26th, the day before Thanksgiving, which means whoever wins would have whatever it is in time for Christmas.

I am not acquainted with blog give-aways, so I have no idea what to suggest. Maybe something to do with blogging.  Hmmm ... One of my most useful tools when I write is my thesaurus. Maybe a thesaurus with Joyce's autograph! Yes! That's my suggestion. 

8. Insert your own random thought here.

Speaking of birthdays, this is what I posted on Face Book today:

"I know I'm getting old when I'm buying more Sympathy cards than Birthday cards!!"




2 comments:

  1. I agree with you on marriage. There is something about a shared history and I think we let go of some of what we thought we might change in that other person : ) Enjoy your Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had similar answers to a couple of the questions this week. I agree with your last comment. We always have to keep sympathy cards on hand these days.

    ReplyDelete