Pages

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Decorating for the Fourth


While waiting for potatoes to cook on the stove, I opened up my stored boxes of quilts to pull out anything that looked patriotic.  


It's been well over a year since I hand-packed the quilts from our previous house, so I had forgot just how much we have in the red, white, and blue color scheme.




At this time of year, just about anything in red adds to the celebratory spirit of the holiday.




Twenty-six years ago I made this wall hanging over the Fourth of July holiday. It is hard to believe so much time has passed since I embroidered the date.




Antiques are not necessary to celebrate this holiday, but they add a charming warmth. This old church pew has a rich history with worshipers in our nation.




My mother-in-law's train case has been holding seasonal arrangements for many years. (It hides a worn hole in the antique  embroidered doily!)



These flowers were a bargain from Walmart last  year and have been waiting for me to pull them out again this summer. 




There were enough of them to make more than one arrangement. 




This quilted runner did not come from my sewing room.  When I came across it some 15 years ago in a country decorating shop, I knew it would be perfect for my home.




This is the lamp table beside Beloved's recliner. I like to make mats like this for the different seasons and holidays. They are quick to sew and are done before I have time to get tired of the project!


Even smaller projects like this can be done in one afternoon if one doesn't dawdle! Just put together the fabrics with a simple plan in mind; no real pattern is necessary. 


This is a small flag by the front door, but my husband will post a much larger one on the morning of the actual holiday.


We are expecting guests for dinner, so I've begun preparing some of the food a day ahead.


A wonderful find of red dishes at a friend's garage sale adds a special touch to this year's barbecue table.


Since our children are all grown and gone, we seldom pull out the cake stand. I found this one at TJMax a couple of years ago.  Changing out the ribbon for the occasion is a fun ritual.

Happy Fourth of July to all of my readers.  I hope my quilted pieces have inspired some of you to make your own for the next patriotic holiday.

May God bless America!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Barbara, I love all your patriotic decor. I really do not decorate anything except the front porch but that may change once we get in our new house. My decorations will be easily accessible and that will be wonderful. They are all upstairs right now and I get tired of wagging them down the stairs.

    Wishing you a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete