Pages

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Cooking for a Divided House

Last Friday's supper at home

Raw eating is not for everyone, but for me, it's become a satisfying adventure.  Armed with my Vitamix, a good set of knives, and a hobby of reading about raw food eating, I am losing weight at a healthy pace and feeling consistently so much better than I have in years.

A big challenge has been eating this way for myself while Beloved prefers to eat more conventionally. My personal opinion is that my way of eating is best. However, I also firmly believe that once a person reaches adulthood or complete independence from their mother's cooking, they should be allowed to eat the way they want. So with that in mind, I cook the way we each prefer. Sometimes that means I make two entirely different meals, but often I can give us each the same thing with variations on each plate for preferences.

Last Friday my basic idea was that I wanted to serve pasta with a sauce.  For me it was a raw zucchini pasta topped with a raw, dairy-free white sauce. For Beloved, it was a boxed and boiled pasta combined with a store-bought alfredo sauce warmed up with purchased frozen meatballs. 

We both had a hearty green salad filling up half the dinner plate. Beloved has a selection of bottled salad dressings in the refrigerator while I often use no dressing at all, or maybe Balsamic vinegar. In today's example, I had a dressing made of half an avocado processed in the blender with 1 fresh orange (peeled, of course).*

Here is what our plates looked like as we sat down to enjoy:

My plate                                                                                    Beloved's plate

It really wasn't hard to pull this off.  Some advance planning made a big difference. When using nuts and seeds, we often soak them for 30 minutes to several hours to soften them for easier processing.   After soaking, the nuts and seeds need to be rinsed thoroughly.

Raw Gluten-Free Dairy-Free White Sauce (makes about 3 cups)

1 cup raw cashews 
1/4 cup pine nuts
1 cup water (plus additional for thinning, if necessary)
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Tablespoon Bragg Liquid Aminos
2 teaspoons nutritional yeast (this is not bread yeast)
half of a lemon, peeled, seeded

Place the cashews and pine nuts in a bowl, cover with water, and soak for 30 minutes (or up to 6 hours).  Drain and rinse well (don't keep this water).

Place the soaked and rinsed nuts, 1 cup of water, olive oil, liquid amines  nutritional yeast, and lemon into a high-powered blender (I use a Vitamix) and process until it reaches a smooth consistency, adding additional water, if necessary. Serve over pasta of choice.

*In the world of raw food cooking, many times a salad dressing can also be used as a cold soup! This is the case with leftovers from the avocado combined with a fresh orange.  Try it! This makes for a wonderful lunch soup on a busy day.





1 comment:

  1. Your salad/meal really does look delicious, Barbara. I am not a fan of Alfredo sauce, so I would have chosen your dinner over your husband's!

    I tried eating Vegetarian and Vegan for awhile and enjoyed it. Perhaps it is time to try it again?

    ReplyDelete