Pages

Sunday, June 15, 2014

Father's Day 2014

Me with my Daddy and our dog, my mother, and maternal grandparents holding Sister

We are told that our impression of God is strongly affected by the relationships we have with our parents, and perhaps especially the association we have with our father.

That's a heavy statement but true. On this Father's Day 2014, I am blessed to be able to say that my earthly father connected to me in ways that enhance my thoughts of God my Heavenly Father.

It was my mother who led me to accept Jesus Christ as my personal Savior when I was young; and she, with my father, intentionally taught me how to live the Christian life.  

I was in the third grade when Daddy told me I should read my Bible every day and pray -- have a "quiet time" with the Lord.  He gave me a periodical published by our church that provided scripture and a devotional thought and suggested I use that. Through his example I learned this was an essential I must do. With extremely few exceptions, I have read my Bible and prayed daily ever since then.  

Through my Daddy I learned the importance of not only living right but also setting a good example.  Take the high road in all things; don't provide an opportunity for others to stumble by deliberate disobedience on my part.

Cancer took my Daddy's life all too soon, but even in that battle he remained close to the Lord. My husband and three children were with me during the last few weeks of Daddy's life.  We lived out of state and had come to see him for what we all suspected would be the last time this side of heaven.

When the time came for us to leave his hospital bed and start driving home, he called each one of us to his side and spoke words of love and encouragement, a blessing, if you will.  It was a remarkable privilege God gave us that day.  

It's been just a little over 28 years since God called Daddy Home, but his example and teaching still hold strong in my heart. God's love and time have healed the wound of Daddy's passing. I know I will be with him again.

Today I thank God for giving me a good earthly father. 



2 comments:

  1. George was a good man and a gracious father-in-law to me. I honor him today along with my Dad, Horace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful tribute to your Father, Barbara. I do believe we will be reunited with our rloved ones in God's glory one day.

    ReplyDelete