Pages

Friday, May 16, 2014

Lunch and a Video

Busy Day Lunch Salad


As I write this blog post, it is a busy day.  I've been to the public library, the post office, and Walmart.  In a few minutes I'll be leaving home again to be with my Bible study gals at the church for our study of Galatians, then stopping at Kohl's to look for a skirt and one more stop at Michaels to look for ribbon. Whew! It's a good thing I have a pork chop for Beloved and a salmon fillet for me thawing in the refrigerator for supper!  I'll bake them in the oven and dinner will be a snap at the end of this hectic day.

Before I had to go gluten-free over six months ago, a lunch for me on a day like this would have been a hastily thrown together peanut butter and jelly sandwich, with some apple slices -- often inhaled on-the-go!

Those days are behind me now (along with 12 pounds and larger jeans). I had to go gluten-free or else I'd still be sick and spending entirely too much time in the "sitting room." The adjustment for me hasn't been all that hard, given the alternative if I didn't give up everything with wheat in it.  

In the process I decided to greatly restrict my intake of most grains, cut back on my meat consumption, and eat as much of my food in its raw state as I can stand. NOT FOR EVERYBODY, I know.  

Anyway, while I'm munching on today's salad (pictured above), I thought I'd peck out a quick post.  For those of my readers who are eating gluten-free, or just desiring healthier menu choices, this article is for you.

This salad may take slightly more time to assemble than scarfing down that PBJ, but the health benefits are great and just maybe we shouldn't be eating our food so fast anyway, right?

Busy Day Lunch Salad 

1 large handful of prepared salad greens with carrots, chopped 
1 fresh avocado, chopped
1/4 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed very well
Oil and Vinegar to taste for the dressing

2-3 rice crackers (to push the last of the salad onto your fork)

Combine all but the crackers together into a salad bowl and then sit down to eat, slowly.  


If you want some refreshing food for  your spirit while you eat, click on this link to watch a 10-minute video by Beth Moore, Christian teacher and author: Thinking About Thinking



No comments:

Post a Comment