Pages

Sunday, May 11, 2014

Happy Mother's Day 2014

artwork by Mary Englebreit

I think you almost have to be a  mother to truly understand the depth of this statement that a girl's best friend is her mother. While I realize not every mother-daughter relationship is a happy one, I am blessed to be able to say I know my mother has always had my best interests in mind in her relationship with me.

Feminine relationships can be so tangled, so snitty, so filled with drama and hormones that daughters can easily miss the point that our mother's greatest desire and goal is to point us in the right direction.

It goes far beyond learning how to style our hair, roll out cookie dough, or keeping our room clean. Our mother wants with all her heart to train her daughter how to avoid the pitfalls and how to be successful.  

Oh sure, some of that has to do with making the mother look good, but more deeply than that is the desire to see the offspring thrive.

I am so thankful for the mother God has given to me and also grateful He has given me the privilege of giving birth to my own three children, one of them a daughter. 

As mothers we pour ourselves out for our kids. Then as they launch off on their own, we entrust them to our Heavenly Father. We are comforted with the certainty that they can never get away from the truths we have implanted in their minds.  

Happy Mother's Day!





1 comment:

  1. Happy Mother's Day, Barbara!

    I'm glad I have both a son and a daughter. They have been very different people as both children and siblings, but thankfully I feel very blessed as they are smart, kind and great parents.

    Wasn't this snow day a surprise? I like it in a way but feel sorry for the birds, especially the hummingbirds, who seem so confused. I have to buy a hummingbird feeder to help them along in this freeze.

    ReplyDelete