Pages

Friday, April 25, 2014

Butternut Squash Soup

Butternut Squash Soup

This is a wonderfully nutritious and tasty soup to prepare any time you can get your hands on a Butternut squash.


Butternut squash going into the oven to roast

Cutting into nearly rock-hard squash is one of the most dangerous tasks (I think) that the home cook is called upon to do, so when I came across a package of Butternut squash already peeled and cubed in a package, I snatched it up.  

roasted Butternut squash cubes

At the time I did not have a specific recipe in mind, but that was only a minor detail. I would find one; I was just happy to find the squash in a form where the hardest part of the work was already done for me!


grating nutmeg with a microplane gives a better flavor

I decided a soup would be made with the squash. The recipe called for oven-roasting the cubes before making the soup. Those yummy bites with a bit of caramelization on them were delish! I had to force myself to not gobble them all up before continuing with the soup recipe.


Medjool dates have a large seed in the center. Slice the date in half lengthwise and remove the pit.

This recipe is adapted for my preferences from Brad Gruno in his book, Brad's Raw Made Easy.


When a recipe calls for soy sauce, this is one choice
available to those who are gluten-intolerant

I am still reading through the book, but his story is like so many others I've read in that when he began eating a mostly raw diet, his health began to quickly improve. I found the same thing and have kept off the weight loss for nearly 6 months. (yeah!)


soup ingredients will be processed in my Vitamix blender

A Vitamix is not essential for this soup recipe, but it does make the preparation very easy.  Any high-powered blender should work.



the soup is now blended and ready to eat, or it can be gently heated in a sauce pan if desired

Butternut Squash Soup, adapted to my preferences (makes 6 servings)

4 cups peeled, chopped Butternut squash
1 cup fresh apple juice (or bottled if you prefer)
1/3 cup orange juice (fresh or bottled, your preference)
1/3 cup water
1 stalk of celery, chopped (include the leaves)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
4 pitted Medjool dates
1 teaspoon sea salt
dash of soy sauce


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roast the Butternut squash for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes. Resist the urge to snack on these yummy nuggets or you won't have enough left for the soup!

Place the squash, apple juice, orange juice, water, celery, cinnamon, nutmeg, dates, sea salt, and soy sauce in a high-powered blender. Blend until mixture reaches a smooth soup consistency.

The soup can be served at room temperature or gently warmed in a saucepan.


I did not make these indentations, but they look like an
exclamation point to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment