Pages

Monday, April 28, 2014

3 Gifts Orange

a mayonnaise-free carrot slaw (recipe to follow)

Today's Joy Dare from Ann Voskamp is to be thankful for "3 Gifts Orange."

I am thankful for Carrots. I am thankful for my carrot-shaped serving dish. And I am thankful for mandarin oranges, both fresh and canned.



I still remember the very first canned mandarin oranges I ever had. It was the Christmas season and we were attending church in Long Beach, California. I was somewhere around twelve years old.  After church one Sunday, several families decided to go to a smorgasbord  for lunch.  

We don't hear that word much any more, smorgasbord, and I'm pretty sure I had to ask my parents what that was.  We now know it to be an "all-you-can-eat" buffet.  

Anyway, they had these miniature orange slices that were so tender and sweet and I immediately added them to my list of favorite foods.  To this day I love them, and whenever I open a can of them I have to take a test sample to be sure they are as good as the last can.  

I also like the fresh mandarin oranges, or "cuties" as they are called in the produce department. And cutie they are!

But back to my carrot slaw in the carrot-shaped serving dish.  My readers may remember that I served this with our Easter dinner this year.  One of our guests does not like mayonnaise, so I did some research to find a carrot slaw that does not call for the white stuff.  We enjoyed it so much that I think I'll include this flavorful and colorful dish every year alongside our Easter ham.

Carrot Slaw for Easter (makes 6 servings)

1/4 cup olive oil
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1 Tablespoon chopped flat leaf Italian parsley
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 bag (10 oz.) shredded carrots
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 small red onion, chopped
1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted


To make the dressing, combine olive oil, lemon juice, parsley, salt and sugar in a small bowl.  Set aside.

In a larger bowl, combine the shredded carrots, dried cranberries, onion, and almonds.  Add the dressing.  Cover and refrigerate 2 hours or overnight.  This salad improves over time.

Be sure to toast the almonds.  Most recipes calling for nuts are made more flavorful when the nuts are toasted beforehand.

No comments:

Post a Comment