Pages

Monday, March 3, 2014

Fog and a Rabbit

Looking toward the golf course

We woke up this morning to dense, icy fog and a forecast of snow. From our front porch on a clear day, we have an good view of the twelfth hole of the golf course. Today it's just somewhere out in the damp, cold mist.

Mug by Dayspring, a housewarming
gift from Peggy
Sipping my usual cup of hot green tea was a comfort as I padded about the kitchen, preparing breakfast.   Actually, Beloved made my tea for me.  He got to the kitchen before I did. As is his habit on most Saturday mornings, he empties out the dishwasher for me, makes my tea, and then brings it to me while I am still fussing with my hair in the bathroom. What a gem of a man he is!!

a heart at the bottom of the mug

In return, I try to make him a nice breakfast.  Sometimes I bake fresh (gluten-free) waffles for the two of us.  This wasn't one of those days, but he doesn't mind frozen waffles and so that's what I toasted for him, along with two sausage patties from the skillet.

Brer Rabbit Unsulphured Molasses Full Flavor
(the blackstrap version has even more nutrition
but the flavor is very strong)

Since the frozen-and-toasted waffles aren't gluten-free, I did not have any.  However, my breakfast of choice nearly every day is a smoothie packed with hearty nutrition.  Today it was Brer Rabbit's turn to show off his healthy unsulphured molasses, packed with significant amounts of calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, and potassium.

A close-up of the rabbit

As a little "rabbit trail," I'll share with you that when I was a little girl, my mother would serve molasses but I would have none of it.  She even resorted to a little syrupy voice, trying to convince me that the rabbit had made this stuff just for me and wouldn't I like to have some? No.  That tactic also did not work with honey.  "Don't you want the honey that the bees made?"  No.

However, that verse in Proverbs 22:6 proved true, "Train up a child in the way [she] should go: and when [she] is old, [she] will not depart from it." I now use both molasses and honey in my cooking, eschewing granulated sugar as often as practical.

Pumpkin Gingerbread Smoothie

Getting back to my original line of thought, the molasses was just one of several ingredients in this morning's Pumpkin Gingerbread Smoothie. The recipe is my adaptation from the original, found at this link: 


Not all oat products are gluten-free, so I opted to use gluten-free Rice Chex cereal instead.  

This is both flavorful and colorful, and although served COLD, it is has pleasant taste on a cold wintery morning.

Pumpkin Gingerbread Smoothie (makes 1 generous serving -- I shared some with Beloved)

1 cup almond milk, plus a bit more if necessary
1/4 cup Rice Chex cereal (original recipe called for rolled oats)
1 Tablespoon chia seeds
1/2 cup pureed pumpkin (canned pumpkin -- not the pie filling)
1 Tablespoon molasses
1 frozen banana cut into chunks
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
pinch nutmeg
ice, if desired


Soak the cereal, almond milk, and chia seeds for at least an hour or overnight.*  This helps them digest better and also give the smoothie a smoother texture. Place all ingredients into blender and blend until smooth. Add ice if desired.

the fog has lifted somewhat

Nutritionists say that a healthy breakfast lifts the morning mental fog. In the space of time it took me to compose this post, our fog has lifted just enough to be able to see that twelfth hole (the meadow on the left), but not much else.  At least it's a start! 

*For matters of taste, it is not necessary to soak the almond milk, cereal, and chia seeds; but for nutritional value, it's a good idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment