Pages

Thursday, March 27, 2014

A Sunny Egg with Veggies

Eggs with veggies
Note: this blog post was written before I decided to go vegan.
Many of my blog readers are hesitant to leave comments at the end of my posts, but I do hear what they are thinking in private emails and in face-to-face conversations. 

If you read this blog regularly, then you know I am big on nutrition, raw fresh produce and green smoothies, in particular. Mary has kindly written to say that she enjoys my blog with the exception of the green juice.  She went on to say that she just can't bring herself "to drink anything green -- not even a green mint milkshake on St. Patrick's Day!"

Hmm. Well, I'm sure she is not alone.  My own Beloved would never drink my green concoctions except that I give him just a small juice glass-size of it, and he must believe at least part of the indoctrinations I've pressed on him.  

Today's post is a suggestion of another way to get a good dose of vegetables into the diet, although these are cooked.  This is a favorite breakfast for me because it is bright, cheerful, healthy, and quick.

A Sunny Egg with Veggies 
(makes 1 serving; increase ingredient amounts according to the number of servings you need)

1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 yellow onion, thickly sliced and rings separated
4 red grape tomatoes, halved
4 yellow grape tomatoes, halved
1-2 handfuls of fresh baby spinach
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 egg (per person)


Heat the oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Saute' the onions until limp, then add the tomatoes, stirring to cook.  

Add the spinach and garlic, continuing to stir until the spinach is limp.  Use a rubber spatula to push them to one side of the pan.  Carefully crack the egg in the remaining half of the skillet and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Cook to desired doneness.  

Serve with the egg on the plate first and then nestle the colorful vegetables beside the egg.  

I enjoy it just like that but for Beloved I add a slice of buttered toast with jam.


1 comment:

  1. Your eggs look delicious!

    I never drank a green smoothie, or any smoothie for that matter! It is not that I am adverse to them, it is just that I would rather chew my food than drink it :) Smoothies are a wonderful way to have children get more veggies in their diet. My daughter-in-law often makes them for my grandsons.

    I do love most vegetables, but I'm a little sad that the variety I was used to finding in NYC are less here in Colorado, and at a higher price! I've visited many stores for Italian greens we loved, like broccoli rabe and escarole--they are hard to find! I was used to buy regular broccoli and cauliflower for 99 cents for a whole head, not a pound, and that is when it is on sale! I guess there are not enough farms in CO, so prices aren't as competitive. Plus, in NYC there were many independent fruit and vegetable stands that would sell at almost wholesale prices as their overhead was lower.

    ReplyDelete