Pages

Thursday, February 27, 2014

Cold Feet


The design wall in my sewing room is functional, but not fancy. Since my quilting is done in an unfinished basement with plastic-lined walls holding in the insulation, we had to get creative with the design wall.  

Beloved put together a wood frame and then we tacked onto it a large piece of quilt batting.  The whole thing rests atop 2 plastic filing crates and leans against a wall.  It's not as pretty as my set-up in our previous house, but it gets the job done and that's fine with me.

Since the basement is unfinished, the concrete floor can be pretty cold in the wintertime. I wear warm socks and thick rubber soled shoes on the days when I spend a lot of time down there.




Like much of the country this year, Our Town has been very cold.  We've also hit on that time of year when the wind blows a lot and very hard. The large heavy trash cans, even when full, have a difficult time standing up.  

On this particular day Beloved and I went out into the cold blustery air several times to right our garbage cans and to set up those of our neighbors, too.  As the day wore on (and the trash truck had not come), we gave up.

The combination of time spent sewing in the cold basement and making those trips out to deal with the trash cans chilled me quite a bit.  I finally decided to do something warm for myself.




While sitting at my writing desk, I removed my shoes and put my feet on the electric heating pad, with the control set to HIGH.  It was delightful!  

My mother has said many times, "When your feet hurt, you hurt all over!"  The same thing applies to cold feet. Resting my feet on the heating pad warmed me up all over.

No comments:

Post a Comment